My first betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today I got my first beta from Petco, and his name is flare lol. I named him that because he always flares at my plants and other fish, but never really attacks. I currently have him in my 26 gallon community tank, with tetras, a dwarf gourami, some Cory catfish, an albino pleco, and a few mystery snails.

I know it's not recommended to add betas to community tanks but I figured why not? I have a different tank I can move him to if he's to aggressive. He's a male veiltail. He's beautiful :)

Here's a pic:

image-4093990918.jpg

Ill keep you updated :)

Not recommended to keep a betta with a dwarf gourami!:D

I know lol, but they haven't bothered each other yet so I'm gonna see how it works out. There is also plenty if hiding places so I'm hoping it won't be an issue. :)

I know lol, but they haven't bothered each other yet so I'm gonna see how it works out. There is also plenty if hiding places so I'm hoping it won't be an issue. :)
One day, you'll find you're betta dead if they stay together :/

I thought it would be the other way around? Wouldn't the betta kill the dwarf gourami ?
Actually, on my research and people's testimonials, i saw that the gourami would kill the betta. They are really similar, so it's hard to say. It's all in the personality , age and how big it is:)

Actually, on my research and people's testimonials, i saw that the gourami would kill the betta. They are really similar, so it's hard to say. It's all in the personality , age and how big it is:)

My gourami hasn't shown any signs of aggression since I added him. So I guess that's good! The betta sometimes chases my neons but that's it lol. He mostly minds his own business at the top of the tank and flares at his reflection an most of the other fish roam around in the middle and bottom of the tank .

Very nice!:D

Thanks :) im surprised that petco had such a wide selection of betta. they all looked pretty healthy to! I was wondering if its possible to keep more than one betta together ?

Thanks :) im surprised that petco had such a wide selection of betta. they all looked pretty healthy to! I was wondering if its possible to keep more than one betta together ?
No:) Even if they were 2 females, most females tend to be more aggressive then males, and even a female and a male could kill each other if one is stronger then the other.
Mixing betta's is one of the most dangerous things in mixing fish:)

Also, unless you have a divider, it's not worth it:)

Dangit lol. They are all so pretty, of they would just get along I'm sure people could put some pretty awesome tanks together!

Yeah. I definitely would add another betta to my tank, but i can't:(

I kinda wanna try it just to see what happens, and will separate them if it gets to bad. How do bettas mate if all they do is fight?

I kinda wanna try it just to see what happens, and will separate them if it gets to bad. How do bettas mate if all they do is fight?
It really depends on the attitude of the fish. Some female's will kill any males.
Also, don't try mixing betta's, they will flare at each other, and strike. Some people were stupid enough to try and post it on youtube. They just have no shame:(

It really depends on the attitude of the fish. Some female's will kill any males.
Also, don't try mixing betta's, they will flare at each other, and strike. Some people were stupid enough to try and post it on youtube. They just have no shame:(

I watched a few of the videos, and they really do get in fights to the death! I've read that you can do 4-6 females together though and it's called a "sorority" or something like that? I might try it.

Ill definitely stay away from 2 makes though

I watched a few of the videos, and they really do get in fights to the death! I've read that you can do 4-6 females together though and it's called a "sorority" or something like that? I might try it.
Sorority is when betta's or other fish are raised since they were fry and kept together. This doesn't always work though, and is not recommended.

Back
Top Bottom