My First Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeperOfFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
:) So I got a 40 Gallon Hexagon Aquarium as a gift a few weeks ago. I set it up with the filter and put a dechlorinator in the water. I left it like that for a week but i didnt know about cycling. So im wondering if it might be ok. Im gonna go out and buy a water testing kit as soon as possible.

In the tank i have a few fake plants, a big rock that releases bubbles, and some seashells fake ones though and gravel of course.

The fish in my aquarium include...
1 male fancy guppy
4 female fancy guppies
2 male tuxedo guppies
1 male red/gold tuxedo guppy
1 male tequila sunrise guppy (my absolute favorite one:))
2 sunburst platy
1 red wag platy
3 otocinclus

If this is too many or too little or if theres anything else wrong with the fish number or species please tell me. Im aware that i have too little amount of females but im worried about overcrowding and i just cant part with any of my fish:(

If any advice please post:)

I also forgot i have a 2.5 gallon tank with filter that contains my Half Moon Betta named Twilight:D

Hes a wonderful fish and very curious.

I was wondering if it was ok to put him in a community tank? I grew up my whole life hearing that they are very agressive and will attack other fish and to never put them with others but ive read about people putting them with their other fish and it being fine. So answers would be great thanks!:)

It is not a bad stocking at all. I do think you need to get a test kit and read up on cycling your tank. Running empty does not prepare a tank for fish.

ur betta most likely won't do well in that tank, bettas + guppies usually isn't a good idea

i would also recommend getting him a 5+ gal w/ a heater (u did good getting him a filter)

i would also recommend getting him a 5+ gal w/ a heater (u did good getting him a filter)

ok. he seems pretty happy right now but ill have to get that stuff later because i need to cycle my tank first and i dont have a whole lot of money haha:)

Hi, I doubt your larger tank is cycled. How long have you had the Betta in that other tank? Chances are that one might not be cycled either.

You're going to have to test the water daily with a good liquid test kit and do a LOT of water changes to keep your levels safe enough for fish. Ammonia and nitrites should be kept below 0.25 on the API Liquid test kit at all times. Until you get your test kit I would do at least a 50% water change every day just to be on the safe side, don't forget to add dechlorinator to the water before you add it to the tank and try to match the temperature as close to the tank temperature as possible.

Here's a link that will help you out: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! Be vigilant with testing and water changes if you want to keep your fish alive and healthy. Good luck.

Hi, I doubt your larger tank is cycled. How long have you had the Betta in that other tank? Chances are that one might not be cycled either.

You're going to have to test the water daily with a good liquid test kit and do a LOT of water changes to keep your levels safe enough for fish. Ammonia and nitrites should be kept below 0.25 on the API Liquid test kit at all times. Until you get your test kit I would do at least a 50% water change every day just to be on the safe side, don't forget to add dechlorinator to the water before you add it to the tank and try to match the temperature as close to the tank temperature as possible.

Here's a link that will help you out: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! Be vigilant with testing and water changes if you want to keep your fish alive and healthy. Good luck.

thanks for advice i will definitely be cycling both tanks and any tanks i get in the future and doing plenty of water changes daily

Yeah you're going to have to do a lot of water changes and try to keep your ammonia around or below .25ppm

I recommend you buy seachem prime to treat your water for changes bc it detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for 24- hours and by the time it starts wearing off you'll be doing another change and adding more. High lvls of ammonia and nitrite can poison your fish. All those fish are going to add a lot of ammonia as their waste and food produces ammonia. Ask any questions you have on here that weren't answered by those articles and poeple will be glad to help.

Do daily water changes to keep ammonia down! And quality liquid test kit w/ daily testing during cycling is a must. The brand of test kit most people on here use is the api master freshwater test kit. Its also the only one I saw that testes for what I need at the store. And I have no personal experience w/testing strips but everyone on here says they're inaccurate and unreliable. Liquids the way to go.
Post your updates as you go along.
Pics are nice too:) gives me ideas for my tank

tarpon said:
Yeah you're going to have to do a lot of water changes and try to keep your ammonia around or below .25ppm

I recommend you buy seachem prime to treat your water for changes bc it detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for 24- hours and by the time it starts wearing off you'll be doing another change and adding more. High lvls of ammonia and nitrite can poison your fish. All those fish are going to add a lot of ammonia as their waste and food produces ammonia. Ask any questions you have on here that weren't answered by those articles and poeple will be glad to help.

Do daily water changes to keep ammonia down! And quality liquid test kit w/ daily testing during cycling is a must. The brand of test kit most people on here use is the api master freshwater test kit. Its also the only one I saw that testes for what I need at the store. And I have no personal experience w/testing strips but everyone on here says they're inaccurate and unreliable. Liquids the way to go.
Post your updates as you go along.
Pics are nice too:) gives me ideas for my tank

Great advice. You may want to get a water changer. Aqueon or python, are the ones I know of. You're gonna be busy carrying buckets otherwise. Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Wayne

Ok thanks for more advice guys.....I'm gonna go out and buy a bottle of sachem prime, API master freshwater test kit and most likely a water changer....I'm so glad I found this forum otherwise my poor fish would be doomed....I'll be posting updates and pics soon:)

Since fish are already in the tank do I have to wait awhile after I put seachems prime in water before I can add it to the tank?

But I don't think you should have to wait awhile. Just make sure the water going in to the aquarium is the same temp as the water already in it

Back
Top Bottom