My first tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Annakhil

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, this is the tank I got for my 3yr old, he LOVES fish and I decided he was old enough to enjoy them at home. I'm cycling it right now, just ordered a different heater so I can monitor the temp better. I want to get him a few platies maybe a flaming red and a Micky mouse, and a Dalmatian Molly with a few ghost shrimps. What do y'all think? Too many? Can I put more?
What other type of shrimp can I get that would interest my son?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• image-1454631985.jpg
    image-1454631985.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 127
Annakhil said:
I forgot to say its a 10g

I wouldn't put a Dalmatian Molly in there it take up a lot of space and u wouldn't be able to put to much fish in there I would get 4 platies wht ever kind u like 1 male 3 females and maybe a couple of guppies

So def no Molly, got it!
How about some glow fish(sorry I'm a newbie and can't remember their correct names), would they get along with the platies and what kind of snail would work?

Annakhil said:
So def no Molly, got it!
How about some glow fish(sorry I'm a newbie and can't remember their correct names), would they get along with the platies and what kind of snail would work?

Well how many platies would u get

I guess 3-4 always wanting more fem to mal. But I def want some shrimp cause for some reason my kid gets a kick out of trying to find them in any tank

That's fine two ghost shrimp would be good also

Annakhil said:
I guess 3-4 always wanting more fem to mal. But I def want some shrimp cause for some reason my kid gets a kick out of trying to find them in any tank

Yep I would do Tht a few platies a couple glo fish but the shrimp it would be better if u planted a little bit for them

What should I plant and are you talking live or fake? If live, would they survive in gravel rather than sand?

If you're planning on live plants you're going to need CO2 and a CO2 defuser

In order for live plants to grow they need carbon dioxide (CO2). CO2 can be bought at the local fish store, just ask if you cant find it and they can show you how to use it. They're not that big and easy to use

Annakhil said:
Will they survive in gravel? Thank yall soo much!

Yes, make sure you have thick enough layer of gravel, about 2" preferably

I have 2 planted tanks and don't use CO2 in either, I just use fertilizer, and the plants do great. You only need to use CO2 if you have a highlight/Hightech tank, which i don;t think you want to have.

Yea this is pretty much what I'm sticking to for atleast the rest of 2012. Maybe next year I'll get a larger

You can use fertilizer but it's dirt and will cloud up you tank, you'll need to have good filtration

Just my opinion but you don't need fertilizer or dirt if you just have low lighting and low light plants, such as java fern or java moss. I think planting an aquarium can be as simple or as challenging as you want it to be good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom