My first tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a 10 gallon starter kit today, came with tank, light, filter, and heater. It came from Walmart, so I expect I'll have to replace the heater and possibly the filter soon.

Anyway, I would like to eventually have a larger tank (if this is something I learn to love like I did with gardening) that provides an all-natural view of fish and plants. I know this will take much time, I am nowhere near ready or knowledgable yet.

My question is: Is a 10 gallon tank big enough to have a few plants in with a few fish? I got aponogeton bulbs and lily bulbs tonight, just wondering how you guys got started with it.

Thanks!

Welcome to AA Bonker!

First of all, the Wal-Mart tank kits are ok. I have heard people complain about the heaters malfunctioning..but the filters are absolutley fine. Mine has lasted me close to two years now, and hasn't busted. A 10 gallon tank is big enough to house plants and fish. Depends on what kind of fish your looking to keep in it. I've had great luck with the bulbs.

Good Luck!

A 10-gal is a fine way to start, but just remember that the more water you have, the easier it is to keep it in good shape. A 10-gal is a small tank, so you will have to take extra care to maintain water quality. Fewer fish is going to help in that regard. Aponogeton bulbs are excellent and very easy to grow even under low light conditions, as are many of the lilly bulbs. Do you have a fluorescent hood or is it incandescent?

I forgot to mention that those aponogeton plants get very tall, very quickly, so they might wind up draped across the surface most of the time.

Crypts will do very well in there, too.

Back
Top Bottom