My first tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhenry

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
IMG_0612.jpg I have 3 tiger barb ,black fin shark,Plecostomus and a betta

No long I think I jump in it to fast my 3 tiger barb died what all do I need to do to ensure everything is fine with the water and stuff to ensure the fish don't die! I'm new at this

Read the article link in my signature. It will explain alot. And there is an article on fish-in cycling which is what you are doing with the fish you have in the tank.

How big is your tank?
It looks like your tank has a filter and a heater so props on that! are you using water conditioner? how often and how big are your water changes?

In all honesty is was probably a good thing your tiger barbs died. they are notorious fin nippers and they need to be in larger groups. they would have probably shredded your bettas fins
I think you should probably research each of your fish to see what they need and what they are like.

if it is a common pleco, I would suggest taking it back if you can. they get huge and they can get aggresive. they are known to suck the slime coat off of fish and kill them.

as for your black fin shark, i think those things can get pretty big and might get aggressive too. I suggest doing more research.

There is a learning curve to this hobby, but it's worth it if you stick with it. Good luck and good job asking questions!

What are the best fish to get for beginners? And it just a 10gal I'm going next weekend to get a 50 and I been doing 25% water change and every 3-4 days

Go online and get liquid test kit like API called master test kit and you will be set like a scientist for testing the water and making sure the fish are living in safe conditions.

Read up on Columbian Catfish, aka Black Tip Sharks, they have some very specific issues, poison dorsal spines and get HUGE.

Common Plecos get too big for almost anyones tank. There are better choices for tanks like 50-75G. Bushy aka Bristlenose Plecos and there are different colors and pattern of Calico and some are long fins and some are short, great variety. There are some called Green Dragon Plecos, and albino ones.
60074-albums11380-picture70545.jpg

60074-albums11380-picture70528.jpg

Mhenry I read your original post when you posted. Idk why but I thought the tank was larger. Sorry about your stocking always best to start in right direction. Are the lights working properly?

I got a new hood with better lighting

Yea it was a crapy light that came with it I will post a pic of the new light tm

I have a 10g while there are cons. You can still have a really nice tank. If you get into plants it will open another world aside from just the fish. Good luck.

I would love to do live plants just know notting about them and what I need

You can do it. Not as hard as you think. All info is right in these forums and online. Plants make any tank better....period. And a 10g believe it or not can hold quite a few.

One other thing about plants, is ther are a few very easy ones which can do lower light, Java Fern, and Anubias of both kinds of plants there are numerous varieties and they are all the same. You tie them to a driftwood or a stone with multicolor fly tying line/or fishing line, or 100% cotton thread or string. You cannot bury the Rhizome (part where the leaves come off the stem).

Crytocoryne aka Crypts are nearly all okay with low light, Red Green or Bronze/Brown varieties are planted and will be fine in lower to medium light tanks.

Also some plants, like stem plants, you can just let float at the top and/or plant them.

Just start reading various topics in planted tanks section and start learning. Do not worry about super fertilizing and CO2 additions, yet. A container of Flourish or Aqueon Plant food will work just fine to start.

Yep..Autumnsky on the money. There is enough crypt and or anubias species to fill a 55g. Its on my to do list. So many great plants.

Hi I'm beginner too and completely new to this..So from my experience and because of my conditions in my low equipment tank I would say get amazon swords if you like because those tend to grow faster on basic equipment. It takes like 3-4 days for the plant to grow new leaves. I have gravel and I am currently removing my artificial plants with live plants. I wasted $20 on fake plants because I thought live plants were so hard to maintain.
Image1488733686.812904.jpg

The amazon swords do not need anything just put them on your tank they'll grow in any conditions...the lights I am using is what came with my 20 gallon starter kit.

Hi I'm beginner too and completely new to this..So from my experience and because of my conditions in my low equipment tank I would say get amazon swords if you like because those tend to grow faster on basic equipment. It takes like 3-4 days for the plant to grow new leaves. I have gravel and I am currently removing my artificial plants with live plants. I wasted $20 on fake plants because I thought live plants were so hard to maintain.
View attachment 295891

The amazon swords do not need anything just put them on your tank they'll grow in any conditions...the lights I am using is what came with my 20 gallon starter kit.

They will soon begin needing some ferts. They are root feeders and like to have some fert tabs, just make sure to poke them down 3". You can try just using the already to use liquid dosing kind like Aqueon Plant Fertilizer, Flourish or API Leaf Zone.

Personally I initially bought one container, but then later I used both the Aqueon and the Flourish because they have slightly different ingredients, and I felt they were a good combination, dose one, then dose the other when it is time. (Use one every other dose)

They are great growers and fill in nicely. When you see leaves melting away, leaves are less green and more yellowish or see holes in them you know you are lacking nutrients.

Make sure to rinse off and soak (few hours to overnight, with water treatment like Prime) all new plants and rinse again before adding to the tank. If they initially come to your lfs from out of your country, they are treated with pest killers and you don't want that in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom