My First Tank....And I have no Clue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psteffes023

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have never had or kept a fish tank before but I am very intrigued and excited in starting one of my own. I am trying to research as much as I can to create a cohesive and enjoyable environment for the type of fish I would like to keep. Furthermore, I would like to get as much advice as possible. First of all, I want to get a 30-some gallon hexagon tank that is not too tall. I read that as a beginner it is easier to keep the nitrate levels down in a larger gallon tank, is that true?? And those who have a hexagon tank, how do you like it??

Next I have been looking into the types of fish I would like to get. I have seen some of my friends tanks become a disaster, having a couple of swordtails, a shark, and some barbs but it always seemed like some fish would attack others. Is there a good strategy to avoid this?? I would like to get some bala sharks and some tiger barbs along with a couple of swordtails, and a chinese algae eater and have been doing some research on them and it seems some are hardier than others. Please give me some advice guys......

Welcome to AA!

I assume you would like to start a freshwater tank, as opposed to saltwater? If yes, a moderator will move this to the Freshwater & Brackish forum instead. :) Funny thing that other newbies have done too.

As far as picking a community for your tank, your best bet is to do as much research on the kinds of fish you think you'd like (a good source is www.liveaquaria.com). But even better is to pose questions here and get the info straight from people who actually have the fish and can be more specific.

Figuring out the kind of fish you want can help you figure out how you should set your tank up (ie, plants, hardscape, etc.).

You will find tons of info here.

Bala sharks get pretty good sized, i'm not sure how well it would do in a hex tank. I keep a couple in my 29g(tall) tank and they do fine, but they do outgrow the tank after a while.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are extremely knowledgeable people here on AA.

Welcome to AA! First step decide on a tank. Get the biggest you can afford and manage to find a place for. Larger tanks are easier to keep up than smaller. Next read through our articles section to familiarize yourself with fishless cycling. The humane way to set up a tank. While the tank is cycling members here will be more than helpful in offering advice on fish. I don't recommend getting any of the "kits" that are offered out there. You will end up wanting to upgrade filtration etc anyway.

Not a fan of hexagon tanks, it limits the kind of fish you can get. Longer tanks for most fish are better than taller tanks.

A good idea might be to pick up your tank, filter, heater, substrate and set it up now and just let it run with water. Maybe you could sneak some water out of your friends tank to start your cycle. Then while its cycling you can decide on the right fish for you.

Water from another tank will not help with cycling. Bacteria lives in the filter and substrate. If you can get seeded material, that will kickstart the cycle, but you still need an ammonia source to feed the cycle. Without ammonia source the beneficial bacteria will die off.

I see. Steal some of his substrate :twisted:

My dad's 29g tank has a pretty thick layer of gravel for his substrate. I plan on stealing some of his water and substrate when I setup my 20g tank

It would be more beneficial to just run your filter on his tank for 2 weeks. No need to steal anything.

Back
Top Bottom