My first test!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joyler

Aquarium Advice Addict
So right now I just did my first test...I filled up my 50g with tap and added some dechlorinator...and probably 15 cichlids pellets to hopefully get some ammonia build up...i added an established colony this morning after the water was able to heat up to the temp it will be kept at which is around 74 degrees...I got the API freshwater master kit...I have a topfin power sixty filter and a Penn-plax heater, which is workin well! My Ph is about 7.6 which is high...I want about 6.5 or so, but anyways my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all coming out at 0 so I'm wondering if I need to add something to boost my ammonia to cycle? There is nothing else in the tank right now cuz I will be moving soon...but want to make sure the bacteria stays alive til I do move

A ph of 7.6 is fine really, not too high. If acclimated right, a fish can go with a wide range on the ph scale.

It will take an few hours before your pellets start decaying and producing ammonia, you wont see it instantly (But sometimes, People have ammonia in their tap)

You guys are so great!! So even if it says fish thrive in 6.2 to 6.8 then 7.5 is ok?

Yeah... usually that's just what the pH is in their natural waters... the majority of fish that you buy in stores now are tank bred in pH around 6-8

It should be and, depending on the fish, they can most can thrive in that range of the ph scale.

Good to know...my research and questions will never end...

Almost any FW fish would be happy with that pH. I wouldn't worry at all about it.

You will probably start to see some ammonia by tomorrow night...

fort384 said:
Almost any FW fish would be happy with that pH. I wouldn't worry at all about it.

You will probably start to see some ammonia by tomorrow night...

Well that's good! We move in like a week and a half so right now, I'm just tryin to make sure my pets (bacteria) stay alive until I can truly begin to cycle my tank! That's for the help and encouragement :)

You know youre lame when you add ammonia, and you're excited you get a good reading in your test...bring on the cycle

Gah...how long does it take for nitrites to show up?! Sheesh...lol...

Thanks!! I need to re-read the process...don't want to screw up :)

Here is my testing from today...nitrites are sky high, nitrates are working their way up...ammonia was up to 5 yesterday but is now down to .25 :)

Attachments

• image-3834296083.jpg
    image-3834296083.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 64
keep it up, those trites will drop like a rock one day soon. if they don't you might wanna do a pwc to get them readable again.

Back
Top Bottom