My fishless cycle log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Christina717 said:
Day 34 (10-18-11)
Ammonia: 0ppm :D
Ph: 7.4 looks like a ph crash?
NitrIte: 0ppm :D
NitrAte: 40ppm
Temp: 84F
I think im really close to being cycled!!!!!! :D :D

It's on it's way to a pH crash, but you caught it early :). I'd do a big water change, dose the ammonia back up and see where it's at this time tomorrow. If you're zeroed out again...you've got a cycled tank :D

will do, I will also put a bag of crushed coral in my filter again...I took it out because it was so high. I hope tomorrow I get the same results

I checked my Ph again to see where it was at and it looks like its back up to 7.6+. I also checked my ammonia ( I was curious) its a 0ppm :) my nitrrItes however are at .25ppm so I hope by 4pm they are gone! and I never wanna see them again!

Day35 (10-19-11)
Ammonia: 0ppm
PH: 7.6+
NitrIte: 0ppm
NitrAte:40-60ppm
Looks like im getting a FISH!!!! Im going to do a 100% water change test it again and get a fishy!!! all thnx to Ecos guide + help from LibraryGirl thnx guys idk if I would of made it without you's :)

what should I expect when I first put the fish in. Will it swim around franticly will it sit at the bottom or does it all depend?

Christina717 said:
what should I expect when I first put the fish in. Will it swim around franticly will it sit at the bottom or does it all depend?

Make sure you acclimate him slowly (I prefer drip acclimation...plenty of videos online), keep the light off for the first day and don't feed him until he's been in the tank for ~24 hours. That will give him some time to settle in and get comfortable. All fish have different personalities, so he may be friendly right away, or it may take several days to become familiar with you. Just don't let anybody bang on the glass or chase him out if he's hiding for a while. The sooner he feels safe and comfortable...the sooner he'll be a happy fish :)

since i dont have the tools to do the drip method the best i can do is sit the bag in the water and slowly switch out the water in the bag using a straw which will take at least 1-2hrs of my time but when I get him/her in I will post pics up

Drip acclimation isn't necessary, it's just the method I choose and is the safest way to do it. You don't need anything fancy like valves...just a piece of airline tubing. You can tie a knot in the end of the tube to slow the drip. Otherwise, the normal way of adding tank water to the bag over time is fine as well. Just don't let any of the stores water get into your tank.

Ok well he is in the tank now, looks like hes dooin good. A little bit of the stores water got into my tank when I was tryin to scoop him out but not all. I did not get a telescope like I was planning to but got a oranda the tag said orange and black but I saw an all black one and fell in love, thinking of names now but I like the name Midas I look at him and can see it, will try to get pics in a little, if not tomorrow

Sounds good :). Make sure you have plans in the future for a larger tank. Orandas can get fairly large (I've seen online 7-10"), and a 10 gallon tank is not going to work long term. Liveaquaria which makes their money selling fish (so they want you to buy them) recommends a 30 gallon minimum tank size. The good news is you won't have to go through cycling all over again, just move all the filter media over and you'll have an almost instantly cycled tank.

Im planning on getting a 29gallon starter kit so I can have 2 filters or a 40gallon(wish they had starter kits) not sure what I want to do yet. Hoping to get money for x-mas to get the things for it!!! im soooo excited!!! they might have sales after chrstmas haha

My new Oranda goldfish Midas

Attachments

• 313452_281685808518791_100000321214758_985641_1783202191_n.jpg
    313452_281685808518791_100000321214758_985641_1783202191_n.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom