My fishless cycle log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christina717

Aquarium Advice Activist
Day 1 (9-15-11)
Dosed ammonia to 4ppm + added a pinch of fish food
Ph: 7

Day 2 (9-16-11)
Ammonia: 4ppm
Temp: 78F

Day 3 (9-17-11)
Ammonia: 4ppm (added a pinch of fish food)
ph: 7
Temp: 77F

Day 4 (9-18-11)
Temp: 74F

Day 5 (9-19-11)
ammonia: 4-5ppm
Temp: 74F ( got a heater)

Day 6 (9-20-11)
Ammonia:5ppm (did a 25% water change to lower)
Ph: 6.5 (added crushed coral)
Temp:84F

Day 7 (9-21-11) 1 WEEK
Ammonia:4ppm
Ph: 6.5
NitrIte: 0
Temp: 84F

Day 8 (9-22-11)
Ammonia: 2ppm (redosed to 4)
ph: 8
Temp: 84F

Day 9 (9-23-11)
ammonia: 4ppm
Ph:8-8.4
Temp: 86F

Day 10 (9-24-11)
Ammonia: 2ppm (redosed to 4ppm)
Ph: 8
NitrIte:0

Day 11 (9-25-11)
Ph:8

Day 12 (9-26-11)

Interesting where did you get your ammonia? And are you just adding flake food?

Have you tested your tap water for PH? It started off at 7, then dropped a bit, now it's a lot higher. If you can test your PH right out of the tap and record the readings, and then leave it standing out in a cup overnight and then test it again, it'll be good to see if it changes over time. That could give us an idea of what your normal PH should be. You might not need the CC.

Everything else looks on track for day 12. :)

I am using ammonia from Weis. It was the only place I found with no other stuff added. When I shook it no foam. Im adding food flakes about every other day. just a pinch to feed the bacteria that is growing

It was 6.5-7 out of the tap and 6 when I let it sit over night so im just gonna stick with the crushed coral for a while might just keep it in forever.

Hey Christina, are you using a liquid test kit? I just noticed it was odd that your ammonia actually seemed to climb higher at first (so much that you did a water change) before it dropped that one time.

*Oh, and you don't need to add fish food so often. Just once or twice during the process is fine.

Last edited:
I am using the liquid test kit, I think it got higher because I added to much fish food at first but it was going down their for a while now its not moving.

It's possible that the roller-coaster ride the pH took (dropping down quickly followed by shooting back up from the coral) may be responsible. The beneficial bacteria are sensitive to pH, and the movements might have stunned it a bit. There's not any damage done since you caught it before the pH dropped too low...but it's possible that it went dormant for a couple days. We see it happen a lot with pH crashes. I think you're in good shape though. Having your pH a bit higher where it is now is a heck of a lot better than where it was heading. I'd just give it another couple days and we should see the bacteria get back to work.

I think I'm gonna check my pH today to be safe... we have real hard water though so it should be alkaline instead of acidic.

day 14 (9-28-11) 2WEEKS!!!
Ammonia: 4ppm (a little lighter but still looks like a 4)
NitrIte: 0 :( :( :(
Its been 2weeks and still no NitrItes?!?!?

Nitrites can take a while to show up, you're still in the normal time frame. Nitrites usually don't start showing until ammonia is dropping more. Within the next week you should be seeing more movement.

So i thought I ordered the angelsplus active sponge but I guess it would of helped if I actually sent it out.SOOO....I just ordered one so hopefully that will help me out saw some great reviews on it. even on this forum so might get it Sat. or mon!

I'm on day 5... and WAY to impatient to wait 15+ days haha... so I'm going to a friends house tomorrow who has a 120gallon tank... gonna be giving me some filter media and substrate from his tank... hopefully enough to come close to instant cycling me over a couple days.

I'm on day 5... and WAY to impatient to wait 15+ days haha... so I'm going to a friends house tomorrow who has a 120gallon tank... gonna be giving me some filter media and substrate from his tank... hopefully enough to come close to instant cycling me over a couple days.

That should help immensely. BUt just keep dosing with ammonia and checking; the last thing you want to do is jump the gun and put fish in too soon.

Does anybody know how long angelsplus takes to ship their product? I hit 2-3 days so do you think I will get it on sat?

Day 16 (9-30-11
Ph: 8.2
temp:86F
I hope the angelsplus filter comes soon. Im getting mad that my ammonia has stoped dropping, and no NitrItes yet -_-

It should. When I got mine from them it didn't take very long, a few business days I think. You could very well get it Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom