My fluval edge 6g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiLuckyFin

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I got this tank half price. Tanks are expensive here.

Now, what to do with it?

Was originally thinking of a betta but won't work with this tank.

Maybe a guppy bachelor pad? Been researching and have seen recommendations of between 3 and TEN for six gallons. Ten? No f*ing way!

I know they don't live for long, but are easy to get a hold of and inexpensive. And the colours, oh the colours.

What sort of parameters do they like? could I keep a shrimp too?

Re: scaping

Maybe some drift wood. If I can get some small enough to fit.

They reckon the lighting is ok for live plants. Not sure whether I'm up for that challenge yet, but I can get anubias on a bit of wood. Once again... fitting it in...

Re: cycling

I can use media from the goldie tank. So should be fairly painless!

Any thoughts? Comments? Advice?

I like to have everything well planned. slightly obsessive compulsive when it comes to research and development lol

Sharkbait54 said:
A betta would work unless you don't like them.

It's a fully enclosed tank so only a small opening to the surface.

Also I have NO idea where to buy humanely kept Betta and would rather not support/perpetuate the Betta in tiny cups thing. Iykwim.

Welk betta breath air from the survace, so it's not a good tank for fishes with a so called labyrinth organ. They cant really breathe like normal fish but they save up some air in their labyrinth, it's like a human takin a dive, and keep their breeth.

I think it's a proper size for shrimp, or rasbora mehar/brigittae/malculatus or tiny fish.

Here is the tank. Ignore the grey gravel. It was the display model!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120711_072540.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120711_072540.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 84
I've been looking at one of these for a while now. Is there a way of removing to glass top to do aquascaping/maintenance/catching fish easily?

Bettas have no problem finding the surface for a gulp of air many people keep them in those tank. Just a suggestion though.

In my opinion they should be able to breathe freely, without having to search for air. But thats just me. What about corydoras pygmeus. Its not such a high tank, so bottom fish are always in sight that way

FishontheRock said:
I've been looking at one of these for a while now. Is there a way of removing to glass top to do aquascaping/maintenance/catching fish easily?

Unfortunately no.

Lucky I've got skinny arms!

I would do RCS. So much activity, you might have trouble removing dead shrimp but hopefully your shrimp wont die ;)

Any thoughts on the guppy bachelor pad?

An open too other suggestions for stocking. I'm pretty much an ignoramus when it comes to tropicals!

I see all those colorful fish at the shop but don't pay attention to what they're called! mostly cos I'd never considered buying.

A guppy bachelor pad sounds colorful! You might run into aggression issues. If you did do this watch out for nipped fins or guppys hiding in corners on plants.

Really tossing up between

EITHER 3-5 male guppies plus a shrimp or 2 (if I can find then)

OR male betta plus a shrimp or 2 (if I can find them)

You might not be able to find them, but have you considered endler's livebearers? They are like smaller, more intricately designed guppies. They're neat fish. You could also put some shrimp with them. You could maybe do a bachelor pad of endlers, as the females are much more plain than the males. You could probably put 6 in your tank with a few shrimp. Just like the guppies, though, there could be aggression.

Have found a place to buy online. Amazing stock. And great reviews.

Cherry (? They are solid red) shrimp, which will look fantastic on the black/brown gravel I've got. And maybe a blue betta. They also have endlers but are out of stock. I'm really looking for great color though.

What is that moss everyone talks about?

Considering fontianalis (sp?) And maybe a small java fern. Along with silk plants. Would it hurt giving live plants a go? It's only a few dollars...

I believe that's java moss that everyone talks about. However, other than the name, I know nothing about it, like how much light it needs, etc. You might want to take that and your other plants questions to the planted tank section. They'll help you along.

Back
Top Bottom