My journey with my new 29 gallon long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a sweet tank! I grew an ozelot sword in my 18" tall tank with a t8 no problem! Maybe think if picking up a new full spectrum bulb?

No, I mean your tank is sold as a 30 gallon long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Dimensions of 30 gallon long are 36x12x16 according to manufacturers' lists. I've sold many and ordered for customers, etc.

Just a couple things I figured I'd butt in on. You can use red wine vinegar to test your rocks; I tested mine with rice wine vinegar because I don't keep the white kind around. It just needs to be acidic, that's all. If your rock fizzes like pop/soda, I wouldn't use it in your aquarium. Just make sure to rinse the rock well after the test to get any remaining vinegar off.

I have a Perfecto Fluorescent light on my aquarium, which is is a little bigger than yours. If it's the stock bulb it came with, you likely won't have any luck with anything other than java moss. Java fern MIGHT make it, but it's doubtful. After some digging, I found out that my 24" bulb produces a measly 20W, and it's brand new.

Hope that helps!

I'm keeping java fern in a bunch of tanks that don't even have lights on them and they are doing fine.

Anarchis is a good viney one! Also helps with nitrates, anubias is my fav low light, tie it to a pice of driftwood and it looks awesome! I think you should do a sword to! Check out crypts, they'll do fine in your setup too! I'd consider a new tube for that light also, old lights will not nurture plants as well as fresh ones. Any plants like crypts or swords also appreciate a root tab, if you want the moss a ferns to grow nicely a liquid fert like flourish or led zone would be good too!!

Do they harm fish, could I add like a table lamp light for extra lighting? #DIY

So here's my plan so far

I will keep all equipment from the first post and eventually upgrade lighting. Could I use a lamp to help with the lighting?

I will use pool filter sand for substrate

For my plants

Java fern and moss
A few swords?
Plus all the other suggestions.

Same plan for rock.

Am I missing anything else?

All sounds good! No ferts will not harm fishies! If you use a desk lamp get a 6500k cfl (spiral flourecent)

Back
Top Bottom