My kids won a goldfish a few weeks ago and I broke out the old tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris O

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm fairly rusty in the aquarium world, it's been a while! My kids won a goldfish a few weeks ago and I broke out the old tank. And of course it died, so I let the tank run a week and bought them 4 guppies, and now they have passed:( My tank is a 10 gallon tank, I started out with new gravel and filter. It's been running for about 3 weeks, the PH is 7.8 Ammonia is 1.0ppm Nitrites and Nitrates are low/Temp is around 84° I listened to the pet store and used a PH balancer? Now I have very cloudy water/ I've done a 25% water change and my ammonia levels went down? I know I should do another before adding fish. Any tips would be greatly appreciated:) My kids would be excited if we can get it going! THANKS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi, I'm fairly rusty in the aquarium world, it's been a while! My kids won a goldfish a few weeks ago and I broke out the old tank. And of course it died, so I let the tank run a week and bought them 4 guppies, and now they have passed:( My tank is a 10 gallon tank, I started out with new gravel and filter. It's been running for about 3 weeks, the PH is 7.8 Ammonia is 1.0ppm Nitrites and Nitrates are low/Temp is around 84° I listened to the pet store and used a PH balancer? Now I have very cloudy water/ I've done a 25% water change and my ammonia levels went down? I know I should do another before adding fish. Any tips would be greatly appreciated:) My kids would be excited if we can get it going! THANKS

What type of fish are you wanting to keep? Well firs toff you must cycle your tank completely, meaning that when you test your water you have no Ammonia no nitrites and minimual nitrates which you will remove with water changes. You can do a fish less cycle or a fish in cycle (i advise this method although some people look down upon it). If i were you ide empty all water from the tank, purchase 5 Zebra Danios and put them in the tank with the heater at about 75-80 and the filter running. Test your water every other day nad you will see that the ammonia will rise. Once the ammonia starts to rise above 2 ppm do a 2 gallon water change which will be 20 % of your water, continue this to keep ammonia in a semi safe range for the fish. Ammonia wil continue and you will then see nitrites and then nitrates. Once you have 0 ammonia and nitrites for atleast a week then you are cycled (takes about a month to cycle a tank). I would advise against the use of a PH balancer. If you use tap water then use a product like prime or tetra to dechlorinate your water. Ph additives will only cause you problems its better to just let it settle naturally. That about it just be patient, and your kids can watch the zebras swim while the tank cycles! :dance:

Thanks a ton:) They're wanting guppies.I will follow your advice. Thanks again.

No danios in a ten. If they want guppies do all males so you don't overpopulate

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok? Now I'm confused Lol. I had zebras before and I know they are tough so I was thinking of using them to break this tank in? I did a test again and my ammonia has went from 2.0 ppm down to below 1.0ppm now and my nitrite 0 nitrate 20 ppm PH 7.8? Should I continue with water changes or completely start over? I have a shallow well water so chlorine isn't a problem, I used bottled water to fill originally then I've used tap to do my changes, I used tetra water conditioner and I've used Api quick start? Any help is greatly appreciated! THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP:)

They are tough but too active for a ten. Way too active

Ok so guppies are very easy! And they are good in all types of water! But they prefer ph 7.0-8.1 They do good in 72-80 degree water I strongly suggest putting api stress coat in the tank before the fish and also artemiss 100% natural expellant for bacterial disease! And truthfully the fish stores don't take care of their fish !! So I bet what happen was you bought fish they where in 60 degree water you threw them in your tank and they couldn't deal with the drastic temperature change ! But once you at least just add the stress coat your water should be fine !! And so should your guppies ps I would get a pletco and a Cory for the bottom of the tank for bottom feeders :) less debris left on the bottom easier to clean :) please let me know if you have any other question I currently have 8 guppys 3 male 5 female and 15+ babys !! They breed like crazy but if you don't get the baby's out of the tank or have good hiding for them they won't make it their mother or other guppy will eat them so not much to worry about !

Thanks for the help! I'm thinking of getting guppies this afternoon I'm thinking of 3 females and 1 male/Hopefully they'll do ok;) I'll put stress coat in the water ? THANKS AGAIN

When doing a fish in cycle you need to do a 50% water change any time your ammonia or nitrite rises above 0.25ppm. Any higher than this and it is getting toxic to the fish. Thats really all there is for a fish in cycle.

Ok I'll do it! So anything above .25 ammonia is to high. How about Nitrates and nitrites? What's a good level? Thanks

Ok I'll do it! So anything above .25 ammonia is to high. How about Nitrates and nitrites? What's a good level? Thanks

Nitrites are the same as ammonia and nitrate should be changed at 40ppm

I live in New York I didn't do anything with my water except stress coat, it levels the water if you follow directions ! I don't buy anything else but the stress coat and the other thing that I told you about THATS IT my fish have never died . I think adding ph up down and all the other stuff is inappropriate I never once used that stuff and not once had fish die they all live there life time ! Unless of course they pass during labor but that's about it ! :) you will do fine with that ratio you will have little baby's for sure but it shouldn't be a problem!!! :) and 25% water change every week or every two weeks since you have very few fish ! Match the temps of the water and you'll be fine !!

Thanks Guppy 44 ;) I appreciate all the advice I'll let ya know how it goes!!

Thanks everyone hopefully everything goes well I really appreciate all the advice!! It'll make my kid's day:)

Don't add stuff for your pH ... It's fine for most fish.

If you start seeing dramatic drops in pH, check your KH. If it's below 3 come back and ask about buffering but still don't use pH adjusters! KH is the way to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

For a 10 gallon, don't get a pleco. Only species that would fit is very sensitive. And cories do better in groups of 3+, so research one of the smaller species and that should work ok with a few Guppy's and regular water changes. Just make sure it's cycled before you add cories--catfish ate sensitive to ammonia. The other good option that I would recommend over cories for bottom feeders is shrimp--ghost shrimp or cherries (or both). Again, add after it finishes cycling. :)

Thanks do far were doing great!! And I went back to petsmart and all the female guppies were dead in the tank so I'm thinking it wasn't all my fault? We have 3 females and 1 male that are doing great and 2 ghost shrimp! Went back to get more shrimp and they all had expired! So I'm doing a water change about every two days and so far they seem to be doing good!! THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP :) I'm always willing to learn!! So keep it coming:)

KaylNeko my kids love the shrimp i was thinking 4 would be a good # What do you suggest?

With ghost shrimp, you could probably do 5 or 6 and be good. I'm planning on 10 and 10-12, ghost and cherry respectively, in my 10g, but it's heavily planted too. For now, I'd stick with 5 or 6 till you get a bit more confident about keeping the water chemistry stable :)

Thanks K!! The 2 I have are doing great so I went to get 2 more today and they're out? I'm limited on where I can get em not many LPS around here so I'm stuck with the two big chain stores? Thanks for the advice!!:)

Back
Top Bottom