My new 40B Tank Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I'm really new to this forum, but in a short period of time, I've seen so many ideas! I've asked a ton of questions and gotten great answers from everybody. I originally wanted to get a 60 or 65 gallon tank ( whichever was 36x18x24 ). But I couldn't turn down Petco's $1/gallon sale, which I originally believed to be a myth.

So we are now the proud new owners of a 40 Breeder ( same measurements as above but 16" tall rather than 24" ). I really want to work miracles with this tank... As I've said in other conversations, I would rather have several small fish than a few big guys, and would really appreciate feedback!

Plan so far:
Planted tank - Color and layers. I want to sculpt it like a nice landscaping
Decor - Rainbow rock / petrified wood / suggestions more than welcome

Future known Inhabitants:
Up to 3 swords
Up to 5 Dalmatian molls ( not the lyre tail)

Additional desired Inhabitants (ideas only-nothing set in stone. Please know, I'm not trying to do ALL this, just some things I know I like.) Hoping it may give you guys ideas for things that I haven't thought of:
Neons
Red Cherry Shrimp and/ or ghost shrimp
Interesting algae eaters (help!)
Bottom feeding catfish
Boesemani Rainbow
American Flagfish
Endlers Livebearers
Flame Dwarf Gourami
Praecox Rainbow
Cherry Barbs
Platys

Substrate: Researching and open to suggestions. I would like something relatively course, but natural. I don't want to do common aquarium gravel with this tank, but I don't want sand.

Challenges: Color - my wife really likes the saltwater fish, but we are pretty much beginners and not interested in paying the kind of money needed to set up and maintain marine right now. We want to save that for later. However, we like the aesthetics of a marine tank. We want lots of color!!! awe plan to use lots of rainbow rock to get some color.

Lighting: recommendations welcome!

Feature fish: This will probably be a relatively peaceful tank as I plan to have it nicely planted. However, I would like 2 or 3 "feature stars" in the tank. I'm thinking some gouramis. Nearly all of this is just ideas. Please, give me feedback and suggestions on all of this.

If your plan is to go planted I'd recommend Eco Complete for the substrate.

I also have a 40 breeder. I'm using Nova Extreme 2xT5HO. Good starter and wont break the bank. Should be able to find it between $80-$100. 78W

I would add 4 to 6 cory catfish ( small and hardy) and a school of 10 neons or another small fish (zebra danios, cherry barbs, or flame tetras). Rainbows are too big for that tank, but you could pull off neon dwarf rainbows. For stocking help, try aquaadvisor.com for help, just put in all the fish you want and it will tell you how stocked it is. Good luck with the tank, I reccomend just adding a tetra school and cory school.

I would add 4 to 6 cory catfish ( small and hardy) and a school of 10 neons or another small fish (zebra danios, cherry barbs, or flame tetras). Rainbows are too big for that tank, but you could pull off neon dwarf rainbows. For stocking help, try aquaadvisor.com for help, just put in all the fish you want and it will tell you how stocked it is. Good luck with the tank, I reccomend just adding a tetra school and cory school.

I have a peppered Cory in my sons tank and like it, but hoped for something a bit different- may go for different types of corys.

I don't want to sound difficult, but I'm not a big fan of danios or tetras. I do like neons, though, and I think cherry barbs are very nice. What are your thoughts on the gouramis?

If you don't like danios or tetras, check out threadfin rainbowfish (Iriatherina werneri). They don't get any bigger than 2 inches I believe. A group of 10 + would look nice.

I would for sure add a school of cories. Then either a school of neons or cherry barbs ( really any schooling fish you prefer) and get either an angel or gourami, one or the other. Angels are easy fish, just make sure your water is good.

I would for sure add a school of cories. Then either a school of neons or cherry barbs ( really any schooling fish you prefer) and get either an angel or gourami, one or the other. Angels are easy fish, just make sure your water is good.

Can I do a school of different Cory breeds or do they need to be the same breed?

Can I do a school of different Cory breeds or do they need to be the same breed?

I have a mix, 4 bronze and 4 peppered. They go between staying with their own breed or sometimes they all hang out together. Honestly most of my cories don't even stay in pairs when it's not feeding time, occasionally they do but usually they roam on their own most of the time.

Gameplan

I used aquadvisor.com per an earlier recommendation and really appreciate the tool! It really helps a lot. So, here is the plan.

Substrate:
I am going to tier my substrate. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to pull this off yet, but I have a vision and I don't think it will be too hard to pull off.

Filter:
Marineland C-360 55 to 100 gallon canister filter.

Light and heater:
Recommendations requested! This is going to be a planted tank. I like the Marineland LED Planted tank lighting, but am open to ideas less expensive.

Livestock:
6 Julii Cory
3 Red Wag Swordtails (1 male + 2 female)
5 Dalmatian Molly
6 to 8 Neon Tetras
6 to 8 Otocinclus
3 Dwarf Gourami (Red, Electric Blue, Powder Blue)
5 Lemon Tetras
5 Cherry Barbs
10 Cherry Shrimp

I think I've settled in in my livestock. I may sub some of the smaller fish, maybe the cherry barbs for a couple of rams to add more color. It will probably take me months to stock the tank, so on sure something will change.

Can anyone recommend some good hearty plants? I'd like to have some very "lush" areas in the tank.

I've decided to simply purchase a stand rather than building one. I just want to get this thing up and running. Problem is I can't find a stand for the Aqueon 40 breeder anywhere on line! Where can I find options?

Back
Top Bottom