My New 50g and soon 55g tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-=Jeff=-

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i have had a 40 gal for 5 years.. several assorted fish over the years.

Well I have decided to move it from the Family room to my basement at the same time I am upgrading. This 50g is one of them.. in a week or so I should have a 55g. The 50g I received is used, but free. It came with the pieces of equipment and a couple pieces of Driftwood. The 55g will also be free from my uncle

Anyway, here are the starting photos of my 50g. I finally did a quick clean with water and paper towel. The Filter is a Bio-wheel 350b.. but it is missing the wheels, wheel bearings and impeller, since it is more cost effective to buy a replacement filter I might do that, then I can transfer one of the bio wheels form my 40 (also has a 350B) for the BB
2011-08-10_20-30-11_782.jpg

BIO-Wheel 350B
2011-08-10_20-30-17_62.jpg

Light.. it works
2011-08-10_20-30-27_901.jpg

The 55g will use a new 300w heater and a Fluval 405 filter, it will be used for my Cichlids. the 50g will be home to my kids 2 Goldfish and a few other I have in with my cichlids (that I shouldn't)

Substrate for the 55g will be Black sand, for the 50g I am not sure on what substrate to do yet. I still need to build a stand for this tank

I have more equipment:

50g:
Filter: Fluval 405
Heater: Hydor 300w
Substrate: black gravel, with some rainbow mixed

55g:
Filter: Fluval 405
Heater: not yet purchased
Substrate: Black moon sand mixed with Cichlid sand

what are the Dimensions for the 50 gallon tank?

48 inches long x 12.5 inches wide x 20 inches tall ?

Just found out the 55 is

48L x 13W x 21H

Looks like the hood and Light from my 40 will work on it quite nicely

2011-08-29_20-30-15_819.jpg

Hoping to Wash the gravel and add it tonight. I have a few Decorations I need to clean up too.

Any suggestions on a background for the tank?

Got it cycling (well running at least) Sunday evening. Water looks better today then in the picture.. but I have another issue, Water temp is at 78-80 degrees. I had the heater at 75 and it would still turn on.. now I have it cranked all the way down.. it is a 300W Hydor Theo, I got it with a Fluval 405, I think the Heater is not working right. I figure the temp should slowly drop with the heater essentially at the lowest setting.

Thinking of getting a 200w or 250w heater to replace it but will wait it out a few days

2011-09-05_18-48-54_854.jpg

What are you going to put in it? 80 degrees is not necessarily a problem.

Right the temp is not a problem but I am uncomfortable with it so high with the heater set so low.. no window of movement..

I wanted this tank to be a Community tank, but my kid both have a goldfish each then need to go in there..

SO.. 2 goldfish and 50 gal, does not leave much for anything else. I have nothing against goldfish, just would have preferred to them not have gotten them at their school fair

Right the temp is not a problem but I am uncomfortable with it so high with the heater set so low.. no window of movement..

I wanted this tank to be a Community tank, but my kid both have a goldfish each then need to go in there..

SO.. 2 goldfish and 50 gal, does not leave much for anything else. I have nothing against goldfish, just would have preferred to them not have gotten them at their school fair
Lol, at least you can teach them something about responsible fish keeping. But, I don't blame you for being a little bummed.
You should see if our heater has a warantee or something so you can exchange it.

Hmm, I can email the company, but I got it off craigslist with a canister filter. The canister works. but not sure if they will honor the warranty..

Been a while since I have been on.. but been busy..

Anyway, I got a response from the company. I would need to send the heater in, so I decided to keep it, tank is holding at 78 degrees.. I also have fish in the tank as well..

They have been there for a couple weeks I think.. all are doing well, no to get my 55 up and running

2011-10-15_17-47-38_3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom