my new freshwater aquarium - reccomendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, this is my first post in the freshwater section, anyways, iv'e set up a 15 gallon freshwater tank, which would have been saltwater if all my livestock had not of died after downgrading from a 30 gallon, so i cannot afford to completely re-stock it as saltwater. this new tank of mine has 5 neon tetras so far and was wondering if anyone has any interesting ideas of what else i could stock it with, i was thinking pehaps a couple of dwarf goruami's and some more neons ... or perhaps a couple of (juvenile) angelfish ... although i say its 15 gallons its more like 10 of actual water volume because i have a really nice 3D rock background which takes up about a third of the tank.

I should mention I intend on adding some live plants and i'm running an eheim canister (classic 2013) on it.

Neon tetras are the natural prey for Angel fish... and unless you plan to upgrade, two angelfish might outgrow the tank

Maybe 5 neon tetras, two dwarf gouramis and a bottom feeder and since you have a nice filter, and if you have plants then maybe a few more neon tetras once your tank is established.

hope that helps =o)

Thanks for the reply, I agree the bottom-feeder would make a great addition and i probably will add one at some point :) . I'm really not sure about the angels though - i have kept them before (about two years ago in the very same tank) and they were medium sized with at least another 15 fish (i was a newbie!) and they seemed quite happy and got along with the neon's. i was thinking of purchasing the really young ones , around 1-2", and then perhaps giving them to my uncle when they outgrow my tank (his aquarium is at least twice the size of mine .... any opinions? TIA :D

The only reason I mentioned the size is because my boyfriend purchase one angel for his 29gal.. and she is now the size of a medium sized hand (which is pretty big!) and she reached that size after about a year. If two were to get that size, i'd be more concerned for swimming room than bioload. But every angel is different in their growth rate and temperment. I have two angels in my 75gal and they aren't growing nearly as fast.
Speaking of temperment, some angels might leave your neons alone.. but others might eat them all if they are small enough to fit in their mouth.

I guess those are a few things to think about because every fish is different.

Have you thought about a pair of german blue rams?

lyquidphyre said:
Have you thought about a pair of german blue rams?

I was going to suggest GBR's (or Bolivian Rams) too. They are quite peaceful with other fish and will not bust your tank's bio-load.

In regard to angels and neons. Indeed, angels and neons are often sold at LFS in the same tank. This gives folks the impression that this can continue at home.

i'm not too keen on the german blue rams, prefer the dwarf gourami's, would these be okay with the neon's do you think? perhaps the angels aren't the best of ideas. what would you put in a 10/15 gal tank?

On the topic of Angels, I bought three "small angels" from my LFS. I was wanting Angels (normal), and figured that small angels would suit better. Is there such a thing as "small angels" that stay small, or is it some more LFS lies to sell.

they are labled small because that is their size at the time
A small angel fish is going to cost differently than a large angelfish but that doesn't mean the small angel isn't going to get bigger- its just a way to keep track of fish at the LFS

If it were to say "dwarf" ____ that means it stays small.

Oceanmist...

Angel fish can reach 10" from top to bottom fin. Recommendations are generally one pair per 20 gallons of water volume...and preferrably a tall tank. BTW...I have successfully kept angels and neons together. I have kept many 'would be predators' with 'would be prey' successfully with many species. I have found a trick :) if you ever get the itch to try it out. Best in a larger tank than 15 gallons though.

There are lots of interesting and different little fish that would reside nicely with the neons in a 15 gallon. Personally I would not pick any of the larger dwarf gourami's in that size tank...like the powder blues and cinnimons. The little honey dwarfs would be sweet. Sparkling gourami's only get a single inch...maybe 1 1/2???. Even a betta would do ok...but watch for the neons. Better off with a female betta or a short finned male. As passive as neons are...they too may see the long tail of male bettas as a tasty morsal.

Cory catfish are perfect little bottom feeders for small community tanks. Otocinclus are great little algae eaters...and safe with live plants too. They will eat the algae off the plant without destroying the plant.

If you want to get a little unique...hatchet fish are really interesting and do best in a natural tank. Silvers get just a little bigger than the marble hatchet and a bit hardier too. These fish are trippy.

Another unique but helpful critter is the FW clam. These things eat nitrate. Though life spans are rather short (3 to 6 months average), they are inexpenisve enough to replenish the population. Cost is generally $2 bucks per. Caution...do not house with plecos. I have pictures of plecos macking on these clams. Surprised me!!

Pencil fish are neat...rasboras...you can add little shrimp. There are small species of loaches to help with any snail problems from the live plants without terrorizing the tank. Dario botia is one of them. Affordable too. One of the coolest shrimp I know of for a little tank are the flower shrimp. They get about 4" and instead of claws...they have these flowerette looking hands they use to catch food debris in the moving water.

Who says variety is only in Saltwater???

Khuli loaches are good for keeping the substrate sort of 'ventilated' and sifted. Keeping substrates like flourite from becoming caked. Spaghetti eels are even better.

I would stay clear of Bolivan Rams...mostly because of their size. They are a larger species of ram. Blue rams, gold rams and the apistogramma species of dwarf cichlids are excellent. Best kept in pairs.

To best utilize the most area of the tank without causing problems with territorial aggression is to get fish that occupy different areas of the tank. Top feeders, middle feeders, and bottom feeders. You could even go over the normal recommended populations so long as you have good bio. Fish that live in other areas tend to clash less. Neons are middle feeders and therefore occupy the mid section of a tank. Most catfish stay at the bottom...and top feeders like hatchets stay close to the surface. Loaches dig and live in the substrate.

Just like with a natural marine system...you can achieve the same type of virtual self maintained system by keeping fish that help you to gain maximum benefit. The reason for marine being very difficult is that most marine animals are not adapted to take on sudden changes. Freshwater however go through drastic changes all the time from season to season. They can tolerate a bit more 'abuse' than their marine counterparts. The oceans are vast and experience very little change.

HTH.

WOW! thanks for that great reply! i agree you're probably right about keeping smaller fish and ones that stay of different levels in the tank. i'll look into the fish you mention and see what i think. :D

Thanks Big C :) I'm always hearing that if you want color and variety you have to go salt. This just isn't so. I like hearing of people changing over to freshwater. They can apply the same basics they learned to their FW tank. I will only have natural tanks and I hate maintenance. I've learned to apply the saltwater reef approach to freshwater. Whala...less maintenance and a great tank. I like to promote such FW keeping. Benefits everyone.

BTW...the how to in keeping peaceable fish with aggressives is the order of introduction. This doesn't apply to all of them, but does to a great variety of fish. Neons and angels for example...Schools of neons should be well established in their tanks and juvenile angels can be introduced. The only draw back is...the angels can tell the difference between the neons that were there before them and the neons that were introduced after. Even if they are the same exact school of neons.

I had a school of neons in a large 55 gallon tank with a couple pairs of angels that grew up with them. One day I decided to change the neons over to a smaller tank of their own, but then later decided they looked really cool with the angels. I introduced them back into the 55 and the angels ate every single one of them.

Some predatory inclined fish seem to hold a level of respect for fish that are already residing in that territory and only go after those that happen into their territory after they've established their own.

The order of introduction can really make a difference between peace and chaos. The angels and neons are not the only experience with this I've had. The store I work for I always put larger fish in with smaller fish....so long as they weren't completely predatory like eels (except tiny ones like the spaghetti eels), knives, arrowanas, pike, puffers, etc. These fish are totally predatory and even hunt instead of lying in wait, opportunistics, or scavengers. So there are limitations.

This can also be applied to marine.

TCTFish, just had to give a thank you as well for your posts in this thread. I have a good couple weeks before my tank is cycled so your recommendations are excellent!

justin

Back
Top Bottom