my new guppy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crab-man

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. Yesterday I bought a new 10 gallon tank, rocks, 2 cobra guppies, plants, and a plastic shelter. I already had a guppy and a mystery snail in a 1 gallon tank which I moved to the new tank. I rinsed everything off before I put it in the tank but this morning I looked in an 1 of the new guppies had died and the water was really foggy. I don't have a filter but I think I should get one. how urgent is this and are my other two guppies in danger?:(

crab-man said:
Hello. Yesterday I bought a new 10 gallon tank, rocks, 2 cobra guppies, plants, and a plastic shelter. I already had a guppy and a mystery snail in a 1 gallon tank which I moved to the new tank. I rinsed everything off before I put it in the tank but this morning I looked in an 1 of the new guppies had died and the water was really foggy. I don't have a filter but I think I should get one. how urgent is this and are my other two guppies in danger?:(

Ok first i would do a water change. Replacing with de chlorinated water. Do the remaining fish look sick or lethargic at all?
You definitely need a filter, super urgent. Your fish will die without one.
Since you don't have a filter but have fish you'll need to fish in cycle ( will edit with link) you will also need a test kit , i recommend a API Liquid test kit. In stores thy are 4x as expensive as online,

Good luck.

Edit here is the link : http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Yes your fish are in danger. Your fish aren't as hardy as other fish to do a fish in cycle. You defenately need a filter and an API master kit, I bought mine in amazon for 16 dollars. Good luck with your tank!

I installed a filter, I changed the water in the tank, and I got a pH neutralizer. I just checked the pH and it was still high. it was 7.6. the water is very clear but there is still foam at the top. someone please help:(:confused:

As for the pH I think that's fine. Many fish are fine in pH between 6.4 and 7.8. As for the foaming do you have only fish? Cuz of what I can remember my mystery snail caused all the foaming on top of my tank.

I installed a filter, I changed the water in the tank, and I got a pH neutralizer. I just checked the pH and it was still high. it was 7.6.

Your pH will fluctuate during the cycling process. This is normal. Please do NOT put any chemical in the tank that alters pH.

I had a snail in my tank for a while but took it out and got a much smaller one. as long as it won't hurt the fish I don't care

crab-man said:
I had a snail in my tank for a while but took it out and got a much smaller one. as long as it won't hurt the fish I don't care

I've never had problems with my snail. I was more concerned fish nipping at my snail. Size never mattered this far. My first snail is double the size of my new one. Snails are peaceful and fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom