My new oscar is acting sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alli.knight

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I brought home an Oscar last Thursday. He was really active at the LFS but as soon as I put him into the tank, he sank to the bottom and hid under a rock. I thought he was just being shy but he spent all the next day laying on the bottom too. Last night he seemed to be feeling better and was swimming around and eating so I quit worrying about him but then today he laid on the bottom again. He was even almost entirely on his side for quite a while. I tested the water and everything is normal. Ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrate is under 20. I did a 50% water change to see if that would help but he barely moved while I cleaned the tank. He's still laying on the bottom. I just don't know what's wrong. I'm really worried about him. Is there anything I can do to make him feel better? I'd really appreciate any ideas. I really don't want to lose him. I've wanted one of these fish for a long time and I'm already quite attached. Thanks in advance for the help!

alli.knight said:
I brought home an Oscar last Thursday. He was really active at the LFS but as soon as I put him into the tank, he sank to the bottom and hid under a rock. I thought he was just being shy but he spent all the next day laying on the bottom too. Last night he seemed to be feeling better and was swimming around and eating so I quit worrying about him but then today he laid on the bottom again. He was even almost entirely on his side for quite a while. I tested the water and everything is normal. Ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrate is under 20. I did a 50% water change to see if that would help but he barely moved while I cleaned the tank. He's still laying on the bottom. I just don't know what's wrong. I'm really worried about him. Is there anything I can do to make him feel better? I'd really appreciate any ideas. I really don't want to lose him. I've wanted one of these fish for a long time and I'm already quite attached. Thanks in advance for the help!

What size tank is he in? Tankmates if any? The tanks cycled right?

alli.knight said:
It's a 55 gallon. He's by himself and it's cycled.

And on his side?

I would just think that he is getting used to his new surroundings, but if he is laying on his side thats odd. How did you acclimate him?

Oscars are known to lay on the substrate when bored or unhappy. It may not be a sign of illness. Oscars have a lot of personality and are known to pout. If your tank is large enough ( I would say a 55 gal is the bare minimum for a single young Oscar with no tankmates, larger for an adult, perhaps as small as a 30 for one juvie temporarily), the tank is fully cycled, and your water quality is fine, he may just be adjusting to his new home. Maybe try rearranging the tank or putting a clean ping pong ball or something similar that he can play with. Oscars like toys, and some will even "play with" (break or damage, sometimes injuring themselves badly) their heaters and other equipment.

Let us know more about your tank and any other symptoms, and we can give more advice from there. For now just keep an eye on him. Has he eaten since you got him?

Gboy66 said:
What size tank is he in? Tankmates if any? The tanks cycled right?

+1
Is he breathing deeply or rapidly? Clamped fins? Any spots, marks or fuzz?
Oscars are know to sulk. If nothing is up with your water and he's not getting picked on I'd say he's just being a sook because he's in a new tank. Try and keep quiet around the tank and keep the lights off for a few days until he gets use to it.

Yeah. I read that they can be sulky and shy at first but how long does that tend to go on? And I just got worried when he was laying on his side. What else would be helpful to know about the tank? It has a sandy bottom and some plastic plants for now. I read that they tend to dig up plants so I thought I'd switch to floating ones when he gets bigger. I just floated the bag for about 24 minutes and then put him in which I know was not the best way to acclimate him. He ate yesterday but today he didn't eat anything.

Mumma.of.two said:
+1
Is he breathing deeply or rapidly? Clamped fins? Any spots, marks or fuzz?
Oscars are know to sulk. If nothing is up with your water and he's not getting picked on I'd say he's just being a sook because he's in a new tank. Try and keep quiet around the tank and keep the lights off for a few days until he gets use to it.

He mostly is just breathing deeply and not too fast. He started breathing faster when I changed the water but then went back to normal. His fins aren't clamped and there are no spots or anything else that I can see that might be wrong. I did have the lights on for a little while today. Maybe he's upset about that...

alli.knight said:
He mostly is just breathing deeply and not too fast. He started breathing faster when I changed the water but then went back to normal. His fins aren't clamped and there are no spots or anything else that I can see that might be wrong. I did have the lights on for a little while today. Maybe he's upset about that...

From what you've said he sounds like he's just sulking. :) give him a few more days and maybe try a treat like bloodworms to entice him out if his hiding spot.

I have seen perfectly healthy oscars lay on their side in their tank, often giving their owners pathetic looks for attention or food. Don't worry too much, but if he is off his feed you may want to look for signs of internal parasites or infection. Make sure his poop isn't white or stringy, his breathing is normal, and he isn't bloating. Soaking his food in a garlic solution may help, as might varying his feeding. What are you feeding, and do you know what the LFS was feeding him before you got him? You may be able to entice him to eat with a live ghost shrimp if they are available. I would recommend getting a few of them, and if you have a spare tank or a qt keep them in there for a day or so and gut load them on nutritious fish food.

Don't oscars just have the best personality? I've never kept them but I've had friends who have kept them, and they are really the puppies of the aquatic world. They pout, they are champion beggars, and they really recognize their owners. He should come around in a few days, just let him get used to his new home and keep things calm for him.

Mumma.of.two said:
From what you've said he sounds like he's just sulking. :) give him a few more days and maybe try a treat like bloodworms to entice him out if his hiding spot.

Haha. Ok. I kept telling myself to not freak out but it got the best of me. Haha. Thanks so much for the feedback. I think a treat sound like a good idea :)

Alyxx said:
I have seen perfectly healthy oscars lay on their side in their tank, often giving their owners pathetic looks for attention or food. Don't worry too much, but if he is off his feed you may want to look for signs of internal parasites or infection. Make sure his poop isn't white or stringy, his breathing is normal, and he isn't bloating. Soaking his food in a garlic solution may help, as might varying his feeding. What are you feeding, and do you know what the LFS was feeding him before you got him? You may be able to entice him to eat with a live ghost shrimp if they are available. I would recommend getting a few of them, and if you have a spare tank or a qt keep them in there for a day or so and gut load them on nutritious fish food.

Don't oscars just have the best personality? I've never kept them but I've had friends who have kept them, and they are really the puppies of the aquatic world. They pout, they are champion beggars, and they really recognize their owners. He should come around in a few days, just let him get used to his new home and keep things calm for him.

Haha I'm in love with him already. He definitely has the pouty face down.

I've been feeding him aqueon cichlid pellets. do you think that is ok? Do I have to worry about giving him parasites if I feed him live food? I've just read a bunch of horror stories about fish getting really from eating feeder fish. Are ghost shrimp safer?

Alyxx said:

Ok, a couple more questions. What does garlic do? And how would I make a garlic solution? Also, what do you gut load ghost shrimp with? Oh, and I just went to check on him again and he's on the other side of the tank from where he was before and he turned around when I came in (still sitting on the bottom) so he could give me pathetic looks. Haha.

Ya they do that alot mine is a drama queen. Once they get use to you try not to feed them alot lol! They look adorable when begging.

alli.knight said:
Ok, a couple more questions. What does garlic do? And how would I make a garlic solution? Also, what do you gut load ghost shrimp with? Oh, and I just went to check on him again and he's on the other side of the tank from where he was before and he turned around when I came in (still sitting on the bottom) so he could give me pathetic looks. Haha.

As for the shrimp being safe, they are at least safer than feeder fish because they can't carry many fish diseases (parasites can be an issue, just don't buy them if there are dead shrimp in the tank at the LFS and keep an eye on them when you quarantine them and gut load them) and they don't have thiaminase like goldfish (an amino acid, I think, that blocks absorption of thiamine, which is necessary for the fish's health). I gut load mine on high quality flake food containing vegetable matter, algae wafers, and some calcium enriched crustacean food. The crustacean food is more for the shrimps health in my case, because I keep my freshwater tank stocked with them to save trips, keep an eye on them, and get them healthy and gut loaded because I feed them fairly often to my puffers. It's a good way to get vegetable nutrients to them and it gives them some entertainment once a week or so. Essentially gut loading is a good way to get whatever foods and nutrients you want to your fish while still giving them fun to chase live food. Most live foods are lacking in nutrients on their own in comparison to commercial foods. It is also a more natural way to give predators a balanced diet. Carnivores get most of their vegetable nutrients from the stomach contents of their prey in a form they can digest better. That's how the food chain works.

Garlic is really really tasty to most fish. It simply makes food more attractive to them and seems to stimulate appetite even in picky fish. You can buy commercially made garlic solutions in most LFS's, if you can't find it with the freshwater stuff check the marine section. It is used very commonly in saltwater aquaria to entice wild caught fish to take frozen or freeze dried food. If you can't find it or just want to give it a try before buying a bottle (in my LFS it runs about $8-10), just mince some fresh garlic cloves finely, mix it into a small cup of tank water, and soak the food you want to offer in it for 10-20 minutes. I would do this with a frozen food that has pieces big enough to pick up and feed individually. Then pick out a few pieces and offer it to the fish. I would recommend bloodworms or perhaps beef heart. Both are rich meaty food that the fish should be happy with even without the garlic. Try not to feed too much beef heart, it is very rich and kind of fatty, which isn't good for the fishie liver, and an unnatural food source for fish. Cows are usually not on the menu underwater... As for feeding frozen food, with or without the garlic, always defrost in a cup of tank water before feeding! Eating food that is still frozen can lead to lethal temperature shock for your fish.

And lol at him making sure you can see him. That's what they do. I wouldn't be all that surprised if he is swimming around when you aren't in the room like everything is fine...

Alyxx said:
As for the shrimp being safe, they are at least safer than feeder fish because they can't carry many fish diseases (parasites can be an issue, just don't buy them if there are dead shrimp in the tank at the LFS and keep an eye on them when you quarantine them and gut load them) and they don't have thiaminase like goldfish (an amino acid, I think, that blocks absorption of thiamine, which is necessary for the fish's health). I gut load mine on high quality flake food containing vegetable matter, algae wafers, and some calcium enriched crustacean food. The crustacean food is more for the shrimps health in my case, because I keep my freshwater tank stocked with them to save trips, keep an eye on them, and get them healthy and gut loaded because I feed them fairly often to my puffers. It's a good way to get vegetable nutrients to them and it gives them some entertainment once a week or so. Essentially gut loading is a good way to get whatever foods and nutrients you want to your fish while still giving them fun to chase live food. Most live foods are lacking in nutrients on their own in comparison to commercial foods. It is also a more natural way to give predators a balanced diet. Carnivores get most of their vegetable nutrients from the stomach contents of their prey in a form they can digest better. That's how the food chain works.

Garlic is really really tasty to most fish. It simply makes food more attractive to them and seems to stimulate appetite even in picky fish. You can buy commercially made garlic solutions in most LFS's, if you can't find it with the freshwater stuff check the marine section. It is used very commonly in saltwater aquaria to entice wild caught fish to take frozen or freeze dried food. If you can't find it or just want to give it a try before buying a bottle (in my LFS it runs about $8-10), just mince some fresh garlic cloves finely, mix it into a small cup of tank water, and soak the food you want to offer in it for 10-20 minutes. I would do this with a frozen food that has pieces big enough to pick up and feed individually. Then pick out a few pieces and offer it to the fish. I would recommend bloodworms or perhaps beef heart. Both are rich meaty food that the fish should be happy with even without the garlic. Try not to feed too much beef heart, it is very rich and kind of fatty, which isn't good for the fishie liver, and an unnatural food source for fish. Cows are usually not on the menu underwater... As for feeding frozen food, with or without the garlic, always defrost in a cup of tank water before feeding! Eating food that is still frozen can lead to lethal temperature shock for your fish.

And lol at him making sure you can see him. That's what they do. I wouldn't be all that surprised if he is swimming around when you aren't in the room like everything is fine...

Thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate your help. Today I noticed he has a really long clear poop that looks like a string following him around. Is that what you were saying might mean he has parasites? How would I know for sure? I know with dogs, you can give them a dewormer if you think they might have parasites. Can you deworm fish? And is it something that can be harmful if they don't have parasites?

White stringy poop is often a sign of internal parasites or some other infection. Do a google search for white stringy poop in fish, and read through profiles of different fish ailments. See what the sum of his symptoms is pointing to. My best guess from what you've told us is a parasite of some kind, which he probably had when you brought him home. There are many anti parasitic and anti bacterial medications on the market. Try and narrow down his symptoms so you have a better shot at treating for the right thing. There are also medicated foods on the market which are good for internal ailments because the fish directly ingests the medication rather than swimming in it. The garlic trick can help get him to eat it, and garlic also helps boost his immune system to help fight infections. Follow the directions on whatever medicine you get, if you get it, precisely. That ups the chances of it working and minimizes potential dangers to the fish. However, until you can pin down exactly what type of disease your fish may have, I stress just observing him and keeping his water perfect. Nothing helps sick fish like clean fresh water! What dechlorinator do you use? Prime is pretty much the best and it does neutralize ammonia and nitrites for a while which adds a boost to your water change. Also, what temperature is your tank?

Alyxx said:
White stringy poop is often a sign of internal parasites or some other infection. Do a google search for white stringy poop in fish, and read through profiles of different fish ailments. See what the sum of his symptoms is pointing to. My best guess from what you've told us is a parasite of some kind, which he probably had when you brought him home. There are many anti parasitic and anti bacterial medications on the market. Try and narrow down his symptoms so you have a better shot at treating for the right thing. There are also medicated foods on the market which are good for internal ailments because the fish directly ingests the medication rather than swimming in it. The garlic trick can help get him to eat it, and garlic also helps boost his immune system to help fight infections. Follow the directions on whatever medicine you get, if you get it, precisely. That ups the chances of it working and minimizes potential dangers to the fish. However, until you can pin down exactly what type of disease your fish may have, I stress just observing him and keeping his water perfect. Nothing helps sick fish like clean fresh water! What dechlorinator do you use? Prime is pretty much the best and it does neutralize ammonia and nitrites for a while which adds a boost to your water change. Also, what temperature is your tank?

I'm using stress coat+. I looked for prime last time I was at the store and didn't see it. I'll check again next time I go in. The tank is at 79 but I'm not really sure if my thermometer is reading accurately. Also, I just tested the pH and it's at 8.2! My tap tests at 7.4-7.6. The ammonia in the tank is at 0-0.25 this morning so I don't think the would cause such a high pH. And I tested some water with the sand I'm using and it's the same pH as the tap. Could the pH be making him sick?

alli.knight said:
I'm using stress coat+. I looked for prime last time I was at the store and didn't see it. I'll check again next time I go in. The tank is at 79 but I'm not really sure if my thermometer is reading accurately. Also, I just tested the pH and it's at 8.2! My tap tests at 7.4-7.6. The ammonia in the tank is at 0-0.25 this morning so I don't think the would cause such a high pH. And I tested some water with the sand I'm using and it's the same pH as the tap. Could the pH be making him sick?

Did you let the tap water sit overnight to gas out before you tested it? Put some in a cup or bucket overnight, with an air stone if you have one, so the buffers and softeners and other chemicals the water plant adds to evaporate out and let the water reach the pH it will be in your tank. Then test. He could be reacting to the high pH. If your grocery store carries RO water, get a few gallons and use it for your next pwc. Many stores have a machine in the front where you can buy it by the gallon and fill up the jugs yourself. Distilled water is an option as well if RO isn't available. Many LFS's offer RO or RO/DI water by the gallon as well. It lacks minerals and buffers and is a healthier way to reduce pH than adding buffers. I would do a normal 50% water change and replace maybe 5 gallons of the fill up water with RO the first day, and then do smaller 10-15% changes every day after that with RO until you can bring the pH down to around 7-7.5 and see if his condition improves. If it does, just keep using it for your water changes. You may want to look into saving up for your own RO unit if it does help, it will be cheaper in the long run. You can usually find prime on amazon or eBay at great prices, and it really is the best out there.

I have to disagree here. A pH of 8.2 isn't too high at all. I wouldn't mess with it. He maybe reacting to it because he wasn't acclimated correctly to the tanks water conditions. There is nothing you can do about that now. He is probably use to the 8.2 by now. As I said I wouldn't mess with it. A stable pH is better than a fluctuating one.

Back
Top Bottom