My official stocking advisement thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 55gal tank cycling right now. The first thread I posted was a mile long and I listed my ultimate stocking plan. I didn't get any comments, but the focus was elsewhere. Tank dimensions are 48x21x12.

I'm currently fish-in cycling with 15 tiger barbs
My overall plan is:

2 kissing gouramis
15 tiger barbs
1 rainbow shark
1 bristlenose pleco

I'm just thinking about the shark and the pleco mainly, don't want anybody to get beat up in there.

My introduction plan is to be:
barbs
gouramis
bn pleco
rainbow shark

I want everything to be bigger than the shark when I introduce him.

The pleco is fine to add at anytime. The only issue I see may be with tigers and the gouramis. This is what I found on aqadvisor Note: Bristlenose Pleco needs driftwood.
Note: Kissing Gourami needs driftwood.
Warning: Kissing Gourami is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 11 inches.
Warning: Tiger Barb may become food for Kissing Gourami.
Note: Rainbow Shark may jump - lids are recommended.
Recommended water change schedule: 43% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 132%.
Your tank is overstocked. Unless you are an experienced aquarist who can meet the maintenance/biological needs of this aquarium, lower stocking levels are recommended

I added the gouramis and the pleco two days ago. Everything seems to be going alright. I added a large piece of decor that has plenty of hiding places, along with the pirate ship that was already in there. I'm confident I need more planting at the ends, but I'd really like to get live plants growing in there.

The gouramis were getting harassed by the barbs the first day which had me concerned, but everything seems to have smoothed out now and there isn't too much nipping/chasing.

Back
Top Bottom