My son wants a betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franwjr

Aquarium Advice Regular
My son wants to get a betta fish. I am not sure what is the best set up. I have a spare ten gallon tank that he could use. Should it be filtered? Heated? Can any other fish go in the tank with them? Any suggestions would be helpful. I have experience with fresh water tropical fish, but no experience with betas

A betta will love a 10gal heated, filtered tank, just make sure it is a slow-flow filter and doesn't create too much of a current. As far as tank mates for the better, it is said that depends on the fish itself. Our daughter's betta is currently alone, but we are considering trying to add some other fairly docile fish to the tank.

Franwjr said:
My son wants to get a betta fish. I am not sure what is the best set up. I have a spare ten gallon tank that he could use. Should it be filtered? Heated? Can any other fish go in the tank with them? Any suggestions would be helpful. I have experience with fresh water tropical fish, but no experience with betas

A Betta will LOVE a heated, filtered tank. Lots of plants (real or silk) & a few hidey holes. As the previous poster stated watch the current some Bettas don't like it, you'll also want to watch the intake because the finnage on a male can get sucked into it & damaged. My males are in individual 10g tanks with a Mystery snail each & to me that's plenty. The Bettas are all over the tank & fun to watch. I also have 5 females in a 46g & 3 more in a 10g QT tank, you can do multiple females but it can be a gamble.

Back
Top Bottom