My tank stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone, I have a 48" long 12" wide and 15" high tank, I'm getting a fluval 205 external filter and a 150watt heater and I think I'm gonna go with sand for the bottom, I've decided to go for a 'Asian riverbed theme' I'm gonna get 12 zebra danios, 8 tiger barbs 2 tinfoil barbs and 1 red tail shark. do u think this will be ok?? Thanks for any feedback.

I'm actually not gonna get the tinfoil barbs now as I've just seen how big they grow.

MattJ said:
31 UK

38 US Gallon

Yeah, the Red Tail isn't suitable. I believe the recommended minimum is 50-55 gallons. Personally Tiger Barbs are too nippy for the types of peaceful community tanks that I prefer. I've heard stories of them being aggressive even when they are in suitable sized schools. There are different types of Barbs and Tetras that can take their place and be much more peaceful. Danios are great little fish and you'll enjoy keeping them. You can mix and match different types of Danios (Zebra, Leopard, Glofish, etc... ) and they'll consider each other part the same school.

Are you familiar with cycling? I invite you to check out the guide in my signature and feel free to ask any questions. :)

Last edited:
And to the OP, I recommend reading the guide too ... I'm hopefully on the final stretch of my fishless cycle and hoping it will have been worthwhile!!

I've been doin some research and read that red tailed sharks need 30gallon minimum there's so many different answers out there it's unreal, I dont know what to believe. I was also thinking about gettin 6 dwarf gouramis 4 of the more friendly bettas and maybe 6 corydoras catfish instead of the Asian riverbed theme? Does this sound better or is this an even worse idea? Lol

I'm starting my fishless cycle as soon as my tank stand had arrived, I jus wanted to get a headstart so I can get plants and rocks sorted.

eco23 said:
Yeah, the Red Tail isn't suitable. I believe the recommended minimum is 50-55 gallons. Personally Tiger Barbs are too nippy for the types of peaceful community tanks that I prefer. I've heard stories of them being aggressive even when they are in suitable sized schools. There are different types of Barbs and Tetras that can take their place and be much more peaceful. Danios are great little fish and you'll enjoy keeping them. You can mix and match different types of Danios (Zebra, Leopard, Glofish, etc... ) and they'll consider each other part the same school.

Are you familiar with cycling? I invite you to check out the guide in my signature and feel free to ask any questions. :)

What community set-up would u recommend for my tank?? I want some schooling fish with a centre piece fish so to speak.

There's a site called Aqadvisor.com. It can give you a good idea of what will work, but use it only as a general view...not a factual site. Take the info with a grain of salt.

It's been awhile, but something in the back of my head is saying the gouramis are going to fight with the bettas.

The tiger barbs would be fine with the danios, and they (danios) can outrun just about everything (while they're awake anyways..)

Cories are a good choice for just about every tank. Red tailed sharks, bala sharks, and common plecos are just fish I tend to avoid, but I have tanks on the smaller size. I tend to like smaller schooling fish rather than larger (maybe predatory) fish.

Chris22 said:
What community set-up would u recommend for my tank?? I want some schooling fish with a centre piece fish so to speak.

What I like personally is a peaceful community tank with life on each level of the aquarium. I like setups with Danios as top swimmers, a mid-level group of Tetras or peaceful Barbs and lastly a school of Corydoras as your bottom dwellers. Bolivian Rams and Dwarf Gouramis make beautiful centerpiece fish IMO.

eco23 said:
What I like personally is a peaceful community tank with life on each level of the aquarium. I like setups with Danios as top swimmers, a mid-level group of Tetras or peaceful Barbs and lastly a school of Corydoras as your bottom dwellers. Bolivian Rams and Dwarf Gouramis make beautiful centerpiece fish IMO.

This sounds like what I've been looking for, gonna look into this. Thank you :)

It's been awhile, but something in the back of my head is saying the gouramis are going to fight with the bettas.

The tiger barbs would be fine with the danios, and they (danios) can outrun just about everything (while they're awake anyways..) .

Not sure how well Gourami's work with betta's ... it's sometimes hard to get Gouramis to get along with each other.

If your worried about Tiger Barb aggression .. but want to keep their general look ... there are plenty of substitutes to consider like the Black Ruby Barb ... similar in appearance to Tigers .. but not as aggressive ... but still need at least 6 of them.

Back
Top Bottom