My Water is Cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zac15

Aquarium Advice Regular
I put up an underground filter with fake plants and the first day the water was clear then yesterday and today it became cloudy any suggestions? All my water parameters are normal.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You only have an underground filter?
Tank is cycled?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In all honesty I consider an under gravel filter a thing of the past really. As well, if this is the same tank you just set up a day or so ago, it's highly unlikely that your tank is cycled and you have "normal" parameters. Could you supply some "actual" numbers from a liquid test kit ?

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Yes its in the process of cycling. Does it take longer to cycle in an underground filter?

I haven't used an underground filter in about 20 or so years.... I cannot even remember how it works in regards to filter media.

How big is your tank?
Are you able to buy another filter? Like a hang on back filter or canister filter (if tank is larger than 30g) ?

When cycling / starting a new tank, water is normally cloudy for the first 4 to 8 weeks. The beneficial bacteria is establishing which causes cloudy water. After its all done, water clears up.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes its in the process of cycling. Does it take longer to cycle in an underground filter?

I would of thought the same time.

Maybe a bit slower in a deep tank as it is sucking in water from the bottom - I assume it pulls water through from top towards bottom of the gravel?

Ugfs are awesome biological filters, especially if you use something super porous like lava rock or pumice as the gravel. They are just a pita to clean which is why they aren't popular anymore.

Basically, it turns your substrate into the filter media. It wont take any longer to cycle than any other type of filter.

I have a 10 gallon tank

Back
Top Bottom