My way of starting a FW tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IfoundNemo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Put in gravels, fill up the tank with tab water, turn on the filter system, add chlorine remover, add decorations, live plants, and finally add fish. All in a period of 1 hour. I had been using this set up methods for yrs,and all the fish in my tanks are doing fine. How do you all setup your FW tank?

Setting up 75gal SW tank now. More complicated than FW. :)

We strongly encourage members not to cycle with fish. The live plants help keep the fish well, but not everyone is good with plants.

Really depends on what type of tank and how much time I have at any given moment to work on it. Not to mention the tools you have to work with.

I just set up my 55 gal as a community tank.

• Washing 1 cubic foot of river rock in the bathtub: 1.5 hours
  • Soaking/bleaching old driftwood until all foreign organisms and tannins are gone: 1 week
  • Walking from tank to kitchen sink with a 1 gallon pitcher about 50 times: 2 hours
  • Adding gravel, plants, and driftwood: .5 hour
  • Adjusting layout until it is about as good as it is going to get: .5 hour
  • Placing frozen bloodworms into an old sippy cup with lid and allowing a fishless cycle to occur with help from live filter medium: 1 week
  • Using brand spanking new diatom filter to make that water sparkle: 2 hours
Yeah, it takes me a little longer to set up a tank than you. Some of the times overlapped each other though(washing gravel and filling tank for example). I put my 2 guppies in there to make sure they could deal with the currents without too much difficulty. They seem to be doing fine 3 days in. I will probably add the rest of the fish soon.

Hey deli-conker, I had to give you some kudos for that post!!!!!!! :D

I place in the gravel, water, dechlorinate, add Stability (use as instructed), then filter for a day or so to let the dust settle. Then add fish and plants in no particular order. :) Works for me.

Oh, please check out my replanted tank pictures on my site. Tell me what you think. Thank you.

Python's cost so much :( My mom won't let me get one. Lifting a 5 gallon above ur shoulders and keeping it steady while pouring water so no water is spilled of out a of 46 gallon tank becomes annoying. XD

I'm sure that setup time for a freshwater tank varies quite a bit from owner to owner based on experience, amount of decorations, whether they're using live plants, if they were tricked into using a UGF by someone in the fish department of a chain store, etc. When I set up a new tank it takes me several hours to dechlorinate the water using Prime, rinsing the substrate (I typically use Flourite) and filling the tank. I always let the tank filter run for a day or two before I even consider adding any fish. I haven't done a fishless cycle yet or then I would wait even longer. With each new tank I am getting more particular on how I do things. I've learned a lot since I set up my first aquarium three years ago.

Corty said:
deli_conker said:
I put my 2 guppies in there

Wow, did you give them a map?

I'd imagine it's not too hard to get lost in there :]

BAAAAAHAHAHA

I can just see them now.... "ummmm Norm... didnt we just pass this rock an hour ago???"
"Ahhh Carp, were going in circles again... :roll: "

Melody said:
Corty said:
deli_conker said:
I put my 2 guppies in there

Wow, did you give them a map?

I'd imagine it's not too hard to get lost in there :]

BAAAAAHAHAHA

I can just see them now.... "ummmm Norm... didnt we just pass this rock an hour ago???"
"Ahhh Carp, were going in circles again... :roll: "

Carp.. that's just horrible lol..

Back
Top Bottom