Mystery Snail or nerite snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ToastyHippie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright, I'm going pretty soon to get a snail which one of these would be better for a ten gallon betta tank?

And what should I look for in the species?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Uhh from my experience and research, a nerite snail eats way more algae.

Mystery snails can get bigger, but I personally like the look of a nerite snail more.

Nerites will lay little sesame seed shaped eggs on your glass while a mystery snail will lay clusters of eggs (like the poppers at frozen yogurt or the boba shop lol) above the water level so you would need to drop it an inch or two.

Both would be happy with some supplemental feedings, but depending on your algae level and how much you feed it wouldnt be a problem.

Personally I would get a trio or quintet or sextet of nerites. Love the little guys.
Btw, pretty much all snails love themselves a clip of cucumber.

Hope I helped,

- Raymond

I actually don't have much of a algea problem, which species tends to be hardier?

Hmm.. Well I think they are both fairly hardy but an apple snail can sometimes be more open to eat tabs and stuff than a nerite, however both will be great.

If you don't have a lot of algae, don't get a Nerite. They really need algae to eat, at least in part. Both species are good clean up crew, both keep glass clean, neither one eats plants.

Mysteries, if they are female, lay eggs above water. Easy to remove their clutches if you don't want the babies.

Nerites also have sexes but lay eggs anywhere at all. They cannot hatch in fresh water, but they last quite some time before slowing fading. If you happen to get a male Nerite, you won't have eggs, but it's not possible to sex them by looking at them.

Given clean water, both species would be ok in a small tank.

Be aware that if you end up with a female Mystery snail, and she wants to lay eggs, she will want to find a spot to do that. She can crawl out and fall out, if there isn't anywhere to lay eggs. They need either a cover or hood, or an inch or two of bare glass above the water to lay eggs on. Sexing them is possible, though it can be a pain finding out. So a cover on their tank is a good idea, so they don't fall out if they happen to be trying to lay eggs.

If it's going to be planted, I might get a few ghost or cherry shrimp. Will a mystery snail accept algae flakes and tablets

"Mischief Managed"

Oh yeah. they love that stuff. Another thing to get for Mystery snails would be some of the 'Vacation fish feeder' blocks. They are essentially made of plaster of paris, which is pure calcium sulfate. They have fish food mixed into them and my snails just devour them. They especially like the ones made for plecos and the ones with spirulina in them.

You can even make your own, using Plaster of Paris and any fish food you have or spirulina powder, etc. Ice cube trays make good moulds.. once they set, take them out to cure completely. Drop one in and replace it when it's gone. Makes for nice healthy shells.

You probably could. Most Betta fish won't bother snails. However, some Betta fish will take offence at the long antennae and bite them off, which is not much fun for the snail.

I mainly keep Nerites or small ramshorns with Betta fish, but I just put my Giant Ramshorns, which are related to mystery snails, in with a Betta. The darn things munch plants, so I needed them out of the planted tank they were in. So far the Betta is not bothering them, but they have quite long antennae too, so I'm keeping an eye out in case the fish takes a notion to nip them off.

There are also scuds in the tank and at the moment the Betta is much more interested in hunting scuds down than snail's antennae.

I'm going tomorrow to get plants! If I have plants can I go ahead and get a betta while the tank is cycling?

"Mischief Managed"

Well, I"ll tell you how I keep Bettas. Their tanks are not cycled and they don't have filters or air stones. Three of the fish each have a 2.5 G tank, which are pretty full of plants, and one has a 5G tank, with fewer plants and a very small filter, and a sponge filter. It was my QT.. now it's another Betta tank until I get my hands on another 2.5G. The plants in the 2.5 G tanks are anubias, a bit of fern, a couple of small frogbits, a lot of Hygro difformis [ water wisteria], and a lot of mosses.

I feed mostly live food, most of which survive for days until the Betta catches them, so I don't have to worry about food fouling the tank. One of them won't eat pellets anyway, so live is the only way for him, and my latest one is clearly a live food fan too.

When I test the water in the Betta's tanks, the results are always the same. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates <10, and sometimes not even detectable. Because I want the mosses to grow well, I add a few drops of API Carbon Boost to each tank every day or two, and a drop or two of Flourish fert twice weekly. You could skip the carbon boost, but maybe not the ferts.

Each tank has a lamp, it's an 8 inch round reflector, clamp lamp type, with a 9 or 11 W spiral Daylight bulb in it.. 6500 K. They sit right on the tank rim or are clamped just above the rims, and there's a piece of plastic canvas on top of each tank so the fish can't jump.

I only do water changes about once every six to eight weeks, and if I used a syringe to suck up the poops I probably would not even have to do that. I top up for evaporation, using Distilled water mostly, so that minerals won't build up too much. I think I'll continue to do changes about 6-8 weeks apart because I worry about the minerals in the water being partly used up by the plants, and a change will replenish them.

In a 5G, you could have a lot more plants and rarely change water at all, just so long as the plants grow well. They will use up all the waste that a Betta produces. It's not like they are large or active fish, after all. These tanks also have a couple of small snails in them to keep glass clean. I run the lights on a timer, 12/12, and so far, no algae issues have come up, and it's been since April with the lights on 12 hours a day.

You can cycle a filter if you wish to, but if you like the look of plants, you can do it with plants alone and no filter. Obviously, for the sake of safety, you should test the water regularly when the tank is new. When I began keeping the Bettas this way, I tested daily, and the values remained very constant. Now I test maybe every two weeks.

Well, I"ll tell you how I keep Bettas. Their tanks are not cycled and they don't have filters or air stones. Three of the fish each have a 2.5 G tank, which are pretty full of plants, and one has a 5G tank, with fewer plants and a very small filter, and a sponge filter. It was my QT.. now it's another Betta tank until I get my hands on another 2.5G. The plants in the 2.5 G tanks are anubias, a bit of fern, a couple of small frogbits, a lot of Hygro difformis [ water wisteria], and a lot of mosses.

I feed mostly live food, most of which survive for days until the Betta catches them, so I don't have to worry about food fouling the tank. One of them won't eat pellets anyway, so live is the only way for him, and my latest one is clearly a live food fan too.

When I test the water in the Betta's tanks, the results are always the same. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrates <10, and sometimes not even detectable. Because I want the mosses to grow well, I add a few drops of API Carbon Boost to each tank every day or two, and a drop or two of Flourish fert twice weekly. You could skip the carbon boost, but maybe not the ferts.

Each tank has a lamp, it's an 8 inch round reflector, clamp lamp type, with a 9 or 11 W spiral Daylight bulb in it.. 6500 K. They sit right on the tank rim or are clamped just above the rims, and there's a piece of plastic canvas on top of each tank so the fish can't jump.

I only do water changes about once every six to eight weeks, and if I used a syringe to suck up the poops I probably would not even have to do that. I top up for evaporation, using Distilled water mostly, so that minerals won't build up too much. I think I'll continue to do changes about 6-8 weeks apart because I worry about the minerals in the water being partly used up by the plants, and a change will replenish them.

In a 5G, you could have a lot more plants and rarely change water at all, just so long as the plants grow well. They will use up all the waste that a Betta produces. It's not like they are large or active fish, after all. These tanks also have a couple of small snails in them to keep glass clean. I run the lights on a timer, 12/12, and so far, no algae issues have come up, and it's been since April with the lights on 12 hours a day.

You can cycle a filter if you wish to, but if you like the look of plants, you can do it with plants alone and no filter. Obviously, for the sake of safety, you should test the water regularly when the tank is new. When I began keeping the Bettas this way, I tested daily, and the values remained very constant. Now I test maybe every two weeks.

Should I even worry with the under gravel filter

"Mischief Managed"

Personally I just use a sponge filter for them. As long as you have a lot of plants you might not need one, but I like to have one.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416104886.481114.jpg
Here's the tank! He is a half moon betta. The plant is an anubias congenesis. I decided to use the under gravel filter. I have to get tubing and an airstone.

"Mischief Managed"

Can a Nerite snail live in a one gallon tank with an under gravel filter

"Mischief Managed"

Not well. They get quite big, are very dirty, and 1 gallons don't house anything very well. Those 1 gallon kits with under gravel filters also tend to be not truly filtered.

Definitely not with a betta. Someone is going to say yes but it's just too much bioload. And bettas tend to nip the antennas off mystery snails.

1 gallon is much harder to keep healthy than the 2.5 to 5 gallon tanks too.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Ok, I got my snails and they are loving the tank and the betta seems to be leaving them alone after the initial mishap with a curious betta.

So, what can I use as a good cheap calcium supplement? Or where can I find wondershells.

Back
Top Bottom