Mystery Snails appeared

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andari

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I put plants in my tank to help w/ my nitrate lvls.
Do mystery snails come from plants?
I noticed 3 Tiny snails in my tank today.
Is that a good sign? Or a bad one? I don't want
3000 snails..

It seems to depend on what kind of snails you have. I'm told that pond snails are not huge multipliers. I have a few as well as some ramshorn snails too. I like having them myself but if you find that you are getting over run, consider a loach. They are quite efficient at eating up all the little snails they can find.

Most of the loach/botia species will get rid of those snails, if you don't want them in your tank. They probably came as stowaways on the plants you added.

Many times live plants will come with snails. Likely either ramshorn or pond. You can keep the population in check by not overfeeding if you don't want to buy fish to control the population. Whether they'll eat the plants depends on what kind they are.

Up until last weekend I had an overabundance of snails in my tank.

I got a few of them from a friend of mine, who was having trouble keeping their numbers down in her 5 gallon. They actually started to become a bit of a problem with me, until I picked up a pair of spotted puffers.

Immediately they took to the anemone that the snails had taken over, picking them off one by one. By the next morning, I couldn't find a single snail in my aquarium at all.

Attachments

• puffy_206.jpg
    puffy_206.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 160
Back
Top Bottom