N cycle Q: 2" fish into established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I will shortly have 4 2" emerald cory ready to leave QT. I'm going to move them 1 by 1. They are going into a 29gallon with a 50 gallon Aquaclear HOB. How many days do you think I should allow between adding them?

Do you think 4 days enough. Or 1 full week between additions?

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

If the tank is well established so like 2 months old or more than you could put 1 in every 4 days. Even though the tank is established it may be a good idea to wait a week but it will not do much difference. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, Tomtom, I'm hoping 4 days is good, but I know these 4 are high ammonia producers. I'm running 4 filters in a 5.5 gallon. (long story why it's such a nutty configuration)

So I'll watch real close and test every day. I appreciate your estimate of 4 days as being ok. I'm hoping for 4 days apart.

Will there be a difference between 1st added and last added? I'm guessing, it might absorbs the 1st guy easier than the last guy.

I only have 7 small fish in the tank. It absorbed 3 small 1/2" fish with no problem last time.

Well leaving 4 days between each fish added should be enough time for an established tank to recover, and re-adjust to a larger amount of fish waste being produced.

So there shouldn't be much difference of ammonia and nitrite levels with each addition of fish.

If after the second addition of your fish you notice an ammonia or nitrite level that you do not like (if it's too high or is higher than normal) than it just means that 4 days is not long enough for your tank to adjust to the extra waste.

If this happens then leave a week between the next 2 fish you add. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your Corydoras

I will shortly have 4 2" emerald cory ready to leave QT. I'm going to move them 1 by 1. They are going into a 29gallon with a 50 gallon Aquaclear HOB. How many days do you think I should allow between adding them?

Do you think 4 days enough. Or 1 full week between additions?

Hello Monk...

Perform a larger than normal water change on the 29 G and move all the fish at once. Test the tank water if you like, but keep up on the weekly 50 percent water changes, which is what a smaller tank requires anyway. The fish will be fine.

You don't need to make the change difficult for you or too stressful for the fish, by dragging out the process.

B

Thanks, Bbradbury for the assistance. I had an additional reason for doing 1 by 1. Last Feburary, I bought what was sold to me as an "emeral green cory". He's in the big tank. When I finally got good photos to count the spines, I think he has less than 10; so I think he is a bronze cory. I was hoping if I added them slowly that they would accept him as a brother. So, maybe, I'll move just 1 and then the next week do as you advised and move the other 3 all at one time.

You are right about stressful b/c they graduated from the bare QT to a planted QT. Now, to catch them in a cup will be challenging and require removing all the plants, filters, rocks. (I don't want to use a net b/c at the store one of the ones I didn't buy got stuck in the net from a spine in his dorsal fin.)

I agree with bbradbury. Theres no point In drawing out the process if the tank they are going in is currently cycled. They should get along just fine regardless.

I agree with bbradbury. Theres no point In drawing out the process if the tank they are going in is currently cycled. They should get along just fine regardless.

I agree also. In an established properly maintained tank 2 corys won't be a problem. I also agree with doing a water change 1st.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom