Nano build x2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tjt34

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all.

I am in the process of moving my Betta from a 6Gal fluval edge into a new more conventionally shaped tank so he has a bit more surface area. The tank is purchased but nothing else yet and I will also want to re-stock the edge once he is moved, so I hope to use this thread to gather help & opinions on both tanks.
Initially I have a couple of queries:

I am going to fishless cycle the new tank and seed it with one of the inserts from the Edge's filter. I may also purchase a peice of rock / driftwood with plants attached to it from the LFS. I am guessing this will seed it with more BB, but is there any downside to this?

The new tank is effectively a large glass cube, and the Betta is dark blue. What colour substrate and background (if any) would work nicely?

Finally, in terms of restocking the 6 Gal Edge, I have narrowed it down to three types of fish and want your opinions;
Celestial Pearl Danios - I have heard these are really nice and will school together, but they are relatively expensive and in the LFS always look quite dull. I know that is probably the stress of a LFS but can anybody re-assure me? The edge has lots of fake plants and some fake wood and some moss balls.
Endlers (males only) - These appeal because they are cheap, hardy and colourful.
Chili Rasboras - don't know much about these but saw them in the LFS and seemed quite small and colourful.

The edge will also be home to two very resiliant Amano shrimp who have spent the last few weeks hiding from the Betta.

Any help, critisism or advice appreciated as always.

Tjt34 said:
Hello all.

I am in the process of moving my Betta from a 6Gal fluval edge into a new more conventionally shaped tank so he has a bit more surface area. The tank is purchased but nothing else yet and I will also want to re-stock the edge once he is moved, so I hope to use this thread to gather help & opinions on both tanks.
Initially I have a couple of queries:

I am going to fishless cycle the new tank and seed it with one of the inserts from the Edge's filter. I may also purchase a peice of rock / driftwood with plants attached to it from the LFS. I am guessing this will seed it with more BB, but is there any downside to this?

The new tank is effectively a large glass cube, and the Betta is dark blue. What colour substrate and background (if any) would work nicely?

Finally, in terms of restocking the 6 Gal Edge, I have narrowed it down to three types of fish and want your opinions;
Celestial Pearl Danios - I have heard these are really nice and will school together, but they are relatively expensive and in the LFS always look quite dull. I know that is probably the stress of a LFS but can anybody re-assure me? The edge has lots of fake plants and some fake wood and some moss balls.
Endlers (males only) - These appeal because they are cheap, hardy and colourful.
Chili Rasboras - don't know much about these but saw them in the LFS and seemed quite small and colourful.

The edge will also be home to two very resiliant Amano shrimp who have spent the last few weeks hiding from the Betta.

Any help, critisism or advice appreciated as always.

Hi first off for decor, substrate i would do black sand or gravel. I don't like backgrounds that much but that is up to you.
For the 6 gallon I would do chilli/ galaxy Rasboras with some red cherry shrimp

Ok thanks for the input! Black gravel seems popular generally so think ill give that a go. Will hold off on background till everything else is done.
Hope the CPDs look better once I get them home than they do in the shop.. Endlers seem more active & bright (&cheap). Still undecided there but got time to think while tank cycles.

Back
Top Bottom