Nearly ready to cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello aa members, I've just set up my new tank it's 32gallons, I have a 205 fluval canister filter, can't remember the heater wattage but I know it's enough for my tank, I'm using sand as my substrate and gonna be adding some rocks and driftwood for hiding places, I'm nearly ready for cycling so was jus wondering what ammonia do I get and whats the best water testing kit to get?? Also if anyone could help my bubble stone isn't working very well if anybody can spot a problem with it please tell me :) I can't put pics on here as I'm usin my iPhone but I have a link to my YouTube video of the tank, here it is.

Thanks for any help.

Aspencer said:
Most people use Ace brand of ammonia.

The API Master FW test kits is recommended.

I take it I get the ammonia from any fish shop? I bought the tetra water testing kit and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone lol, Im goin to the fish shop after work so I'll keep an eye out for it.

Go to Ace hardware, if you are in the US. they sell a janitorial strength ammonia which is a 10% solution of pure ammonia.

My limited experience says that your lfs will not carry ammonia. Go to you ACE hardware store. One test is to shake to bottle and if it foams, it has extras added and should not be used. I think my bottle had no other ingredients and said 5% pure ammonia. I am not near my bottle for another couple of hours.

rich311k said:
Go to Ace hardware, if you are in the US. they sell a janitorial strength ammonia which is a 10% solution of pure ammonia.

I'm in the uk unfortunately, I'll have a look online see if I can find any, after nearly a month of waiting for my fish tank stand I'm nearly ready to start cycling, i ain't gonna let this ammonia hold me bk for long lol.

Aspencer said:
My limited experience says that your lfs will not carry ammonia. Go to you ACE hardware store. One test is to shake to bottle and if it foams, it has extras added and should not be used. I think my bottle had no other ingredients and said 5% pure ammonia. I am not near my bottle for another couple of hours.

Yeah I heard that's the best thing to do, the shake test. Thanks, jus need to find some now lol

In the UK, I know there's a brand called Jeyes Klean-off (or something similar) that my friend used. Just make sure any ammonia you get has no dyes, perfumes, surfactants, detergents, etc... Just ammonia and water :)

Last edited:
eco23 said:
In the UK, I know there's a brand called Jeyes Clean-off (or something similar) that my friend used. Just make sure any ammonia you get has no dyes, perfumes, surfactants, detergents, etc... Just ammonia and water :)

Was hoping you would comment on this, got a feeling I might need some
Help with the cycling as it's my first time, I'll follow ur instructions on ur profile and If I get any problems would it be ok to send u a msg to make sure I'm on the right track?? I'll have a look for the jeyes clean-off, I'm gonna be out all night looking for some Ammonia, really want my Fish already but know I gotta be patient as it'll be better in the long Run.

Chris22 said:
Was hoping you would comment on this, got a feeling I might need some
Help with the cycling as it's my first time, I'll follow ur instructions on ur profile and If I get any problems would it be ok to send u a msg to make sure I'm on the right track?? I'll have a look for the jeyes clean-off, I'm gonna be out all night looking for some Ammonia, really want my Fish already but know I gotta be patient as it'll be better in the long Run.

Sure, happy to help! You can message me or feel free to post anything you come across on the guide thread. I never check on the guide in the articles section of the site, but I'm on the thread all the time...that's the one which is in my signature.

While you're on your city wide search for ammo, try to pop into places and ask to get some seeding material. Something like a used filter is best, but anything from an established tank will help. The chain stores likely won't give you any (I don't think I'd want their stuff anyway), but some local stores might help you out. Dont let any of them talk you into "instant cycling" products. Whether you can find seeding material or not, it won't take long to get everything finished up and have some fishy friends swimming around. :)

...32 gallons, you say? Call my crazy, but that looked more like 60-70 in the video.

Rosenweiss said:
...32 gallons, you say? Call my crazy, but that looked more like 60-70 in the video.

I wouldn't do such a thing as to call u crazy lol, I put the tank dimensions into a volume calculator and it came back with 37 us gallons which I think is about 32 uk gallons, think it just looks bigger than it actually is.

eco23 said:
Sure, happy to help! You can message me or feel free to post anything you come across on the guide thread. I never check on the guide in the articles section of the site, but I'm on the thread all the time...that's the one which is in my signature.

While you're on your city wide search for ammo, try to pop into places and ask to get some seeding material. Something like a used filter is best, but anything from an established tank will help. The chain stores likely won't give you any (I don't think I'd want their stuff anyway), but some local stores might help you out. Dont let any of them talk you into "instant cycling" products. Whether you can find seeding material or not, it won't take long to get everything finished up and have some fishy friends swimming around. :)

I've been on my travels since comin home from work and the only ammonia I could find was household ammonia, it doesn't actually say what it contains but I done the shake test and no bubbles or foam :) it also says it's 9.5% ammonia solution. Have I got the right stuff?? Lol.

Chris22 said:
I've been on my travels since comin home from work and the only ammonia I could find was household ammonia, it doesn't actually say what it contains but I done the shake test and no bubbles or foam :) it also says it's 9.5% ammonia solution. Have I got the right stuff?? Lol.

The shake method isn't a guarantee. Look over every letter of tiny print and make sure it doesn't mention anything like surfactants, scents, etc...

You can also do a google search of the brand name and fishless cycling to see if you can find a mention.

Living across the pond, ik that the household ammonia inst what you need cos its contains scents/perfumes to make ur house smell like a lavender bath lol. What you need is the janitorial ammonia...all its is water and ammonia nothing else. Hope this helps, wud hate to see you haven't to rinse everything off mid way through cycle.

I wouldn't do such a thing as to call u crazy lol, I put the tank dimensions into a volume calculator and it came back with 37 us gallons which I think is about 32 uk gallons, think it just looks bigger than it actually is.

Ah, 37 US gallons is a little bigger, but wow! That's a great tank. I much prefer the long ones.

Pigeonfood said:
Living across the pond, ik that the household ammonia inst what you need cos its contains scents/perfumes to make ur house smell like a lavender bath lol. What you need is the janitorial ammonia...all its is water and ammonia nothing else. Hope this helps, wud hate to see you haven't to rinse everything off mid way through cycle.

So do u live in the uk? Thanks for the heads up, I won't use the one I have now.

Rosenweiss said:
Ah, 37 US gallons is a little bigger, but wow! That's a great tank. I much prefer the long ones.

Yeah a little bigger than I was expecting when I got it lol, thank you :)

Been looking on the Internet about the homebase household ammonia that I bought and some people are saying it works for fishless cycling others are saying it doesn't, not sure wat to believe, dnt really want to have to take everything out including the sand to clean it all again if it's the wrong stuff, but really want to get my cycling started as I've been waiting for about a month. Confused. :(

Boots also sell some which people have said is fine for fishless cycling (again, just a quick google search)

Back
Top Bottom