Need a 100% silent filter for 10G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noelllll

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I currently have an AquaClear 10 on my 10 gallon tank in my room and it is a bit too noisy, especially at night when there are no other sounds. Even when the water is full to the top I can hear the filter running, kind of like a humming/buzzing noise, and when the water goes down a cm or two the noise is very unbearable when trying to sleep.

I am looking to buy something that is dead silent, or as close as possible. I've been doing some research but everything has mixed reviews. Actually, people generally say AC HOB filters are very silent, but that is not the case with me.

So now here I am now and I'm looking for some opinions. Should I maybe buy a new AquaClear? Hope I get better luck with that. Or is there another alternative that will do the trick?

Thanks!

Look into internal filters, I have one on my 10 gallon and its no noise at all, I'm not sure of brands but I know national geographic sells some internals at petsmart

Look into internal filters, I have one on my 10 gallon and its no noise at all, I'm not sure of brands but I know national geographic sells some internals at petsmart

Yeah, that's what I think I'm leaning towards right now. The Tetra Whisper 10i for example.

Only thing I wonder is that from the picture on the box it looks like the water pours out from the filter at above water level, which I'm assuming would create a "waterfall" type noise similar to the HOB when the water gets low.

Any experience with these types of filters? How would that work?

There are much better internal filters than that one. Look for one with a spray bar

There are much better internal filters than that one. Look for one with a spray bar

Do you know of any brand names that have that? I honestly have no clue, all I see is what Petsmart Canada has, and it doesn't look like anything with a spray bar.

I'd be willing to order off Amazon, just need to know what to look for

Rather than switching to an inferior filtration system, you might want to consider getting a noise-maker to drown out the filter at night. There are devices (many of them on alarm clocks) that play background noise (e.g., white noise, crickets, ocean waves, etc.).

Most filters advertise they are silent, but they all make some sort of noise or hum since they are electric and involve moving water. I have had all different kinds and even the submersible filters like the whisper make a vibration noise against the glass most of the time. Have you thought of getting a fan or air purifier? I have one in my room as I need a constant noise of this sort to sleep and it drowns out any filter or tank noises. Its an easy fix, but I am one who cant sleep with complete silence.

Back
Top Bottom