Need a little stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boomer2244

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive just got my 55g set up about a week ago and so far I have

6- spotted corys
6- serpae tetras
6- male guppys
6- buenos aires tetras
4- mollys

I'm looking to please my wife with a pink or "girly" colored fish as a centerpiece and she didn't like the peacock gudgeons I showed her any suggestions? Any help is appreciated.

You could get an interestingly colored betta, although I think it would have to be female. Someone catch me if I'm wrong.

43Gallons said:
You could get an interestingly colored betta, although I think it would have to be female. Someone catch me if I'm wrong.

I've seen pink and purple bettas, but they're usually male. My first impulse to stock in that tank size is a rainbow shark lol. I think they're cute, but they're not exactly pink. Lol.

Hey Boomer, welcome to the site,

I would agree that the peacock gudgeon is a beautiful fish, and would somewhat fit that "girly" look you are trying to get.

I would also suggest looking into possiblely some dwarf cichlids. They are mostly community friendly, and have some great colors. Most types of rams have great color. Also some sp. of killi fish have amazing colors, as well as apostios (spelling? haha).

They are many, many choices for color fish. Just take some time and research different sp. of fish and then make your decision, it sucks jumping on fish early, then finding a cooler one and not having the space. :p

Eh, Homedog, the rainbow shark will pester the heck out of those fish. I had a rainbow shark that stressed three tetras to death before I rehomed him, and I've heard similar stories :(

43Gallons said:
Eh, Homedog, the rainbow shark will pester the heck out of those fish. I had a rainbow shark that stressed three tetras to death before I rehomed him, and I've heard similar stories :(

And what sized tank was said rainbow shark in eh? ;)

Rams tend to be a tad sensitive to water params and the more desireable male betta's can get aggressive. I would suggest maybe a colorful angel. My girlfriend loves them and is super sad that our tank will not support them. The only thing I would worry about with the angel is if the guppies would get along. If small enough, could be a target for the angel. If acclimated well and given enough hiding spaces an angle would fit the "girly" type of fish your wife is looking for.

It was in a 35 with eight neon tetras. Too small? The tank had plenty of hiding places too.

Alexa1s0nfire said:
Rams tend to be a tad sensitive to water params and the more desireable male betta's can get aggressive. I would suggest maybe a colorful angel. My girlfriend loves them and is super sad that our tank will not support them. The only thing I would worry about with the angel is if the guppies would get along. If small enough, could be a target for the angel. If acclimated well and given enough hiding spaces an angle would fit the "girly" type of fish your wife is looking for.

Any Betta has the potential to be aggressive. It's completely the bettas personality that it depends on. A dull colored Betta could be just as if not more aggressive than a colorful one.

43Gallons said:
It was in a 35 with eight neon tetras. Too small? The tank had plenty of hiding places too.

Yeah. I think it's a 55 minimum for the rainbow shark. I'm getting one in my seventy five.

Any Betta has the potential to be aggressive. It's completely the bettas personality that it depends on. A dull colored Betta could be just as if not more aggressive than a colorful one.

Exactly. What I was saying was that Males tend to be more aggressive than females and typically have more color and brilliant features. Of course the color of the betta has no correlation to it's aggressivness.

Alexa1s0nfire said:
Exactly. What I was saying was that Males tend to be more aggressive than females and typically have more color and brilliant features. Of course the color of the betta has no correlation to it's aggressivness.

Oh, my bad. I misread that. Yes, the males can be more aggressive. I've seen some really pretty females lately. So they should be a consideration too if you decide on a Betta.

Back
Top Bottom