Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2021, 11:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Need advice on Hillstream Loach

Hello! I am pretty new to fishkeeping - previously I have only owned guppies. Currently I have a 10g tank and on Thursday I went to a local aquarium store to get a few fish. I had already cycled the tank for about a month before this.

I bought 3 guppies to start and the worker recommended I get a bottom dweller as well. He sold me what I am now sure is a hillstream loach and called it something else, saying it would do great in my tank.

Now, I realize that these types of fish do not thrive in the same environments and I am unsure what to do. I set the temperature down to 75 F in hopes that the fish would all be okay for now, and I increased the filter flow. Is there any way I could make it work with these two types of fish?

I really would not like to bring the loach back to the store as I am afraid that the same thing will happen again and he will not be properly taken care of. Any advice is appreciated, I feel awful and am super worried about my fish now.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

What are your water parameters in the tank now?

This size tank wouldn't be the correct environment for the fish. Some are different varieties, Reticulated Hillstream Loach (Sewellia lineolata) also called Butterfly Loach
similar fish, Beaufortia kweichowensis is sold at many lfs and big box fish stores.

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

FW Favorites right now Clown Loaches, any shrimp - SW Vase Red Mangroves
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Hillstream, Borneo, Butterfly and many other names are basically flat bottomed and do live in clear water fast moving streams and rivers. They are different parameters than Guppies. Guppies would usually be move adaptable towards the Hillstream Loaches parameters.

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

FW Favorites right now Clown Loaches, any shrimp - SW Vase Red Mangroves
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, guppies, help advice, hillstream loach, loach, stream

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com