Need advice on my ten gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pollex.jaypee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Need advice on my 20 gallon tank

First of all, thanks for clicking! :fish2:

Anyway, I have a planted 20 gallon tank, FULLY cycled, and now I'm starting to put in fishies.
My plan is to start a betta community tank (this I've already accomplished in a 10 gallon tank)

It is currently occupied ONLY by 6 pink danios. (I've searched the net, and some said they're glofish or what, but all I can say is that they do behave much like an ordinary zebra danio).

And now I'm thinking that their movements could stress the betta!

I realized that I should have put neon tetras instead. But I can't just return the danios because our LFS don't accept returns. Then suddenly, I got interested with neon tetras.

Anyway, I'm thinking: Should I add more danios(since they are very small right now), or put another school of neons, or add none at all.

Oh,I'm also planning to put 6 corys, and my filter is for a 40 gal tank.

So a summary,my stocking idea for my fully cycled 20 gal planted tank is:

1 betta
6 danios (if possible, add more)
6 neon tetras (very optional,need advice from you guys)
6 corydoras

THANK YOU :flowers:

Last edited:
You could add the neons, either way you will need to do weekly water changes of 20%-30%. You never said if this is a male betta or a female. You may want to consider a small group 4-5 female bettas. A male betta is apt to chase the neons and danios or he will be just fine. So it is very much a crap shoot. Females in groups tend to get too busy keeping an eye on each other to worry about other fish. On the corys, stick to a small variety such as pandas or skunks.

Thank you for the reply :)
I was thinking of adding a single male betta.
Is that bad?
Or should I consider a gourami instead?
It's just that I really love bettas and want to provide them a good aquarium life. I feel bad about them being kept in those small betta tanks,even cups sometimes actually.

Oh about water change, don't worry, I love it! I do water changes twice a week :D

Last edited:
Is this a 20 tall or long? If long it will defenetly work
I have a male betta in my 50 gallon along with angelfish, barbs, scissor tail rasboras, guppies mollies tetras, anything really, and he is doing great, if it is a 20 long it would work out
This is what I think would be good
1 betta
5 neons
5 zebras
5 cories
1 small species of pleco

AMAZING! Thank you for that reply :)

But, oh, how I wished it was a 20 gallon long.
It is, unfortunately, 20 gallon tall.

So uhm, what do you think would be good?
I haven't put anything else. Just danios.

Back
Top Bottom