Need advice on tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well....I finally have my tank cycled and stabilized, with no more fish deaths. I originally had five kinds of tetras, with two each (four of one). The pet store just told me to 'get more than one' of each. I returned five fish to the pet store.

Now I have a 29 gallon tank with three mollies, two platys, and the following tetras:

4 lemon tetras
3 black tetras
3 neon tetras

I also have an algae eater. My question is:

Can I/Do I have to add more tetras? I am rather attached to my black and lemon tetras, (silly I know, but I've had them since I started) and catching those three tiny neons in a planted tank with tons of hiding places is going to be well-nigh impossible. I wanted to leave some space in case the platys or mollies breed, but if they do, I can either sell the babies back to the pet store (they said they'd take them) or (maybe) add a second ten or twenty gallon tank. My problem is, I dont' think I have enough of each kind of tetra, and I don't have much room left. I already have about 24 inches of fish in a 29 gallon tank - what should I do?

Glad to hear that your troubles are behind you. That being said, you are facing one of the biggest conundrums in aquaria...having an almost completely stocked tank with not enough of a certain species and not wanting to remove any that you already have.

This is usually one of the first symptoms of MTS (purchasing more tanks to distribute the fish in), which is a healthy thing IMO if you have the room.

Going forward, a good rule for tetras is groups of 6. You may be able to cheat a little a get two more lemons. :) If you do, get your water changes on schedule (30-40% weekly) and you shouldn't have a problem.

I don't see any problem adding a couple more tetras. They are low mass fish that won't produce a ton of waste like a platy would.

neons (black and regular) should really be kept in schools of 5+

i dont think you'll regret it either, i had a school of 9 in my 55 gal, really added some life to the tank.

I added three more neon tetras. They acclimated well and are doing great. And yes, its pretty cool to watch them all together. I wish I could buy five more. Also added an oto. Unintentionally. He was for my betta tank, but as soon as I put him in, the betta went wild and attacked him. So he is now in my 29 gallon. I never heard of bettas attacking ottos before. Go figure. I have to get rid of my chinese algae eater before he gets to big. When I do, I will add a few more ottos, until then, the little guy will just have to hang out by himself.

Back
Top Bottom