Need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lakerfan24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need help on how to transfer fish from one tank to another. I have 20 gallon and got 40 gallon a month ago. It has no ammonia and nitrites and 5 ppm nitrates. I need the best way possible to avoid deaths. Replying greatly appreciated!

You should do what you would do when you get a fish from the LFS. Acclimate the fish by putting it in a ziploc (or something similar) with some water from the tank it has been in and then add a bit of water from the tank you want to put it in every 10-15 minutes for about an hour. This will ensure that it won't die from shock from water chemistry differences. :)

Or if you want to be even more cautious (if you have sensitive fish) you can drip acclimate them. You do this by first placing the bag with the fish in the original water in something to hold it (I use a pitcher). Next, tie a few knots in an airline tube and simply create a siphon with it, siphoning the new water out of the tank and into the bag with the fish in its old water. You will have to play with the number of knots and how tight they are in order to get it to drip just right. This method is recommended for more sensitive fish, and I believe is the way most all saltwater fish keepers acclimate, although I think it is a less stressful way to acclimate any type of fish.
Once you think the water in the fish's bag is mostly your water you can bet the fish and release it into the "new" tank.

Back
Top Bottom