Need Help Can't Lower Nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timbo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I Have been cycling my 29g tank for 3 weeks now and my nitrite is through the roof! I have have been cycling without fish and have been using ammonia. I made a rookie mistake by adding Tim's one and only bacteria to it. I have been dosing up my ammonia to 2ppm and my nitrite is so high. I use api master kit and it is over 5. Also the ammonia pretty much goes away after 24 hours and the nitrates don't rise. I have doing 25-40% water changes for the past 3 days and adding aquarium salt as well and its still turning dark purple immediately. Any Suggestions?:(

Change 75% water then retest, get the nitrite to readable levels, then dose a small amount of ammonia, repeat when nitrite spikes again. Keep an eye on ph too acidic and the cycle could stall, above 7 is good

I agree with Stevedocs, try doing a full water change (or as much water as you can remove) then refill (don't forget dechlorinator), wait an hour or two and then test again. Repeat if nitrites are still high; try to get them to a readable level on the chart (<2). Then skip dosing ammonia for that day and then try only dosing ammonia to 2 to try to get the nitrite bacteria to catch up. High nitrite are normal during cycling and the nitrite phase is the longest, lasting about 3 weeks, but if they get too high they can stall things which might be happening here. Also keep an eye on PH; if it falls too low it can stall things too.

For the nitrate test, make sure you shake and bang both bottles for 30 seconds (bang them on a table or the palm of your hand a few times) then make sure you add the drops in the right order (bottle #1 then #2) then shake the tube vigorously for a full minute and wait 5 minutes to take the reading. If not done correctly the nitrate test can give false readings.

i did a 50% water change today, so ill do a bigger one tomorrow and hopefully they will go down. I'll update tomorrow.
THANKS!!

ph

Just tested ph and it was 7.2 so thats good right?

Back
Top Bottom