Need help Identifying fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

This is my first post so I hope I'm in the right forum!

I have a 180L cold water fish tank with two Black Moors and an Algae Eater. Today I bought 2 new fish to see how they would get on with the others before I put more in. I was told by the assistant in the shop they were Tetras, that's it! I googled Tetras and they don't look like any I've seen but they do look like Danios. Can anyone identify them from this description-

About 4cm long, torpedo shaped body, silver and slightly translucent, slight iridescence in the head and a bit of red/orange on the tail fin???

I got no advice in the pet shop so I also want to know what food I should give them? Is Goldfish flakes ok? And if I have to give them different food to the Moors, how do I manage that?

Thanks in advance,
Barbs.

Is this it? Bloodfin Tetra

prionobrama-filigera.jpg

A picture would help but the tetras I am familiar with are a tropical fish, not cold water. The regular flake tropical fish food is what I feed my tetras with frozen food a couple of times aweek.

Is this it? Bloodfin Tetra

prionobrama-filigera.jpg

Thanks for the quick replies. They do look a bit like that. I've taken a few pics but they're hard to catch on camera. See what you think.

Attachments

• fish 2 005.jpg
    fish 2 005.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 190
  • fish 2 008.jpg
    fish 2 008.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 166
They look to be young, that along with being tropical fish kept at cooler temps may keep them from showing full color.

I didn't know they were tropical!! I explained about my tank to the shop assistant and they're the ones that were recommended for a coldwater tank! Why don't these people know anything, it's such a shame they just want to make money and are not concerned for the welfare of the fish. Anyway...If I turned the heating on in my tank would the moors and algae eater/pleco, which ever he is, be ok in warmer water? At the moment its 21 degrees.

They also can be White cloud mountian minnows:
White Cloud Mountain minnow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That would be one small fish that is cold water & compatible with goldfish. They do well on goldfish food (small pellets suggested, preferably sinking.) <So don't be too hasty with the lfs .... although a lot of lfs don't really know much about their fish & you are better off researching on your own or ask the experts here.>

You can certainly keep the moor in water of up to 24 or so. The fancy golds are actually sub-tropical & do like a bit warmer water than the true cold water fish. They can stand even higher temp (eg. summer) IF the water is well aerated. <However, just because the gold can stand higher temp does not mean that they are compatible with tropicals ... there are other issues that can get you into trouble.>

I would suggest you identify the algae eater as well. If it is a Chinese algae eater, you may have trouble when it gets big ( they will eat fish & will attack the gold). If it is a common pleco, it will get too big (and also known to suck on the slime coat of goldies.) If an Oto, the goldfish may try to eat it ... and the oto's spine will get stuck in the gold's throat, killing both fish....

The only goldfish safe algae eaters are: dwarf pleco - rubberlip or bristlenose, and True Siamese Algae eater.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I really don't have a clue about fish keeping but I'm trying my best to keep them happy! Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have discovered, through asking questions on my welcome post, my algae eater is actually a Hillstream Loach. I have read a few articles about him and believe my tank is not suitable for him to survive successfully. Now I'm not sure what to do because I don't want another tank and would hate if the little cutie died. Is there anything I can't do to my own tank to make him happier without affecting the others?

I have had a look at some pictures of the white cloud mountain minnows. They do look a bit like the males but not as colourful or shiny. It's hard for me to tell just yet as they are so tiny. I'll try them with the goldfish food and see how they get on. I hope I'm doing the right thing!

Thanks,
Barbs.

When a store mislabels fish it is very frustrating. There are different colors of white clouds as well. There is a golden color I have seen and they have the red on the tails, a very pretty fish.

I've tried hillstream loaches like 2-3 times, and I couldn't keep them alive. Either the stock at my fish store was weak and sensitive to water conditions or they are generally, but jme. I think I want to try one more time, because I really want it to work.

Heres another pic that might look closer. Still blood fin tetras

aphyocharax_anisitsi_1.jpg

Imo, they aren't the right shape to be a white cloud.

With baby fish, it is hard to identify the species ... most don't have much coloring or the final adult traits. If you can trust the lfs in selling you a cold water fish, then it is almost certain that your fish are white clouds.

As for hillstreams ... there are at least 6 different species on the market, with some variations in the care. The commonest would be Beaufortia, aka Borneo sucker.

Hillies are cold water fish living in fast running streams. The most important aspect of care is adequate oxygen levels in the water. <My hillies tend to hide from the current, so I don't think they need current per se, but more the O2 in the current.> Without a river tank, the best you can do is keep the temp low (not more than 20C) and have as much splashing & surface water movement in the tank as possible. Perhaps an airstone or 2, or a large filter/power head (aim for 10 to 15 x water turnover per hr, ie something like a 2000 l/hr flow rate for your tank.) <Goldies will not like that much current ... one trick is to aim the filter output diagonally across the back pane of glass. You would have a high current area in the back of the tank, but relative calm in front.>

Second thing is that hillies can only thrive in a mature tank. Most species will not eat fish food. They live off the bio-film of the tank (ie various microscopic critters theat naturally grow over time.) In a new aquarium, they often starve to death. It is going to take a bit of time to establish the biofilm. One way to encourage this is to leave the back pane of glass untouched & let a film of algae grow on it. Once you ahve a bed of algae, the other critters follows.

Something you might try is to buy a largish plant (Java fern or anubias ... since you don't have a planted tank setup) or driftwood that had been in the stores' tank for a while. (One of our lfs has established anubias on driftwood ... pricey tho!) Something that had been in a tnak for a few months should have a nice bio-film on it.

Other than that, hillies requires practically no maintainance.

Last edited:
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I have a few plants in the tank already, that's where the loach hides. I went off today and bought another plant and a nice rock (sandstone I think), I haven't put them in yet though. I also turned the filter nozzle to the back of the tank as suggested and turned the airstones up a bit so hopefully that'll keep him happy for a while. As for the other two little ones, your probably right, they probably are white cloud mountain minnows but time will tell, at the moment they seem quite happy though. I have attached a picture of the tank so if you think I should alter anything, please let me know.
Thanks & regards,
Barbs.:)

Attachments

• fish 013.jpg
    fish 013.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 40
hi there,
not an answer to any of your queries, but was reading your thread and your tank is almost exactly the same as the one i am planning on setting up this summer! a black moor and another fancy goldfish (which i already have in a smaller tank) and will be adding white cloud mountain minnows! good choices!

Hi Eleanor,
I love our black moors, they're so cute, we have them a year & a half now and they come right up to the front of the tank if we put our faces up close. Our Labrador Ben hates when we talk to them, he's so jealous, lol! I'm going to buy a few more minnows because I believe they like to school. I only bought 2 to see how the moors got on with them but they seem to get along well. The loach is so cute too but I think he's afraid of us! He comes out from behind the plants a few times a day but if we come close he scoots back in, lol! Good luck with your tank, I'm sure you'll really enjoy watching them interact with each-other, it can be so funny at times.
Best regards,
Barbs.

Back
Top Bottom