Need help, my heater broke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pud2224

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got home from work to find my eheim jäger heater filled up with water and broke. I have 5 cherry barb, 1 guppy, 1 molly 2 ghost shrimp, 2 adf's. Temp went from 78 down to 72 F. Will they be able to withstand those low temps for a few days til my new heater arrives? My backup is currently in a qt with 3 guppies and 1 three weekold fry. Not sure what to do here....

Can you go to a local store and pick up an emergency one? Whats the temp inside your house?

The guppies would normally be able to deal with cooler temp like 72F ime, better than the ones in your other tank.

If the qt tank is smallish you could put it above the refrigerator or somewhere else to get some extra warmth from the higher area in the house which should be warmer.

Thanks for the help, I moved my qt heater to my 20 gal and my 10 gal qt with the guppies is holding around 72. Temp in house is around 70-71. All seemed happy this morning except for me with my 2 week old jäger heater taking crap. Got it off amazon and can't return it I guess

Thanks for the help, I moved my qt heater to my 20 gal and my 10 gal qt with the guppies is holding around 72. Temp in house is around 70-71. All seemed happy this morning except for me with my 2 week old jäger heater taking crap. Got it off amazon and can't return it I guess

Was it sold by Amazon? They have a 30-day money back return policy, most sellers do, too.

When Amazon extended their return policy for Christmas, I got lucky and returned my original LED strip light I bought with my tank. It was almost 90 days used. Got lucky with that return.

The guppies would normally be able to deal with cooler temp like 72F ime, better than the ones in your other tank.

If the qt tank is smallish you could put it above the refrigerator or somewhere else to get some extra warmth from the higher area in the house which should be warmer.

This might work, although I would be very cautious of doing this - in order for refrigerators to cool your food, they produce heat (as does any machine or computer). Hot air could come up from behind your refrigerator and cook your fish without you knowing. Better safe to check first.

I've returned items to Amazon without the packaging before, though I generally try to keep it

Just an update all fish are doing well except for my blonde male guppy in the qt. He appears to be coming down with something but not quite sure what. He has white, stringy poop and is staying at bottom of tank eating little and not chasing the females around. I suspect a parasite but not certain. I'm too new to be sure. I've posted about this in the Unhealthy Fish section with only one response, we'll see what happens.

What's a good treatment for cottonmouth? I just noticed some whiteness around the mouth of my black molly in my dt. I guess when it rains, it pours! I believe this is common disease among live bearers? I'd post a pic but this molly never stays still.

Back
Top Bottom