Need help planning 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yao

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm planning on purchasing a 55 gallon next month, and I need some help planning what fish I should get. I was thinking about a mbuna tank, but I'm not sure if this would be really hard to keep. I've read some information from here: http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/malmbuna.htm
That seems do-able to me. I will most likely be making a sump out of my current 20 long, so there will be plenty of circulation and filtration. I'll probably opt out of plants (even though I would love some!) since the cichlids will just dig up or chew on them. The 55 will come with a normal hood and lights, and I will purchase and build some rock caves for the fish.
At the end of the mbuna information page I read, there was a list of common mbuna species, but it was all in scientific names with no pictures. Can someone recommend some fish or a website where I can figure out which fish I can get?
Which type of substrate would be recommended? Also, do most people remove all the aquarium decor when cleaning the tank?
Any other tips/advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
:lol:

This site http://www.fishprofiles.com/profiles/ should help to find species compatible with the ones you mentioned. Just bring up a profile of a fish you were thinking of stocking and search for compatible tankmates.

as far as plants, I would urge you to at least have some Java Fern in to start things out. I have a low light 55 gal. and my java fern is doing just fine. Plus they will grow on rocks or whatever they are attached to so you don't have to worry about the fish uprooting them....I am planning on going more towards the live plants in the near future.

A good site for Malawi info is www.malawimayhem.com They have tons of pics. Plants are not ideal for an African tank so I would skip them all together. The only person I know that has accomplished this combo is Travis and it took ALOT of planning.

One thing that you will find with Africans, specifically Mbuna, is that the scientific name can be different for the same specie. It's a PITA when trying to search, but you'll get the hang of it.

I recommend pool filter sand for a substrate since it is easier for them to move around. Pepper it with some black sand and it will help hide the fish waste.

Do not take out all the decor when doing water changes. Just vac around stuff.

Start small and work your way up. Cycle the tank first. While it is cycling start planning your fish. You won't get an exact figure on how many fish you can add since Africans have different personalities. You'll get a feel for them though and each of their characters. Purchase quality foods and always feed a variety. New Life Spectrum is the cream of the crop IMO. Then variety it with zuc, peas, algae wafers, etc. Stay away from flake since it tends to be messy once the Africans get larger.

Thanks! That is very helpful. I'm getting the tank around the second week of march, so before that, I plan on doing a lot of research on fish and looking around for decoration. I'm going to build the stand, a sump and some rock caves. Hopefully when I get the tank, everything will be ready for me to start cycling right away.

Do I need to do anything special to cycle for a malawi tank? On one of the sites I read, they mentioned mbunas liked GH 7+, KH 10-12, pH ~8, and that using a cycled filter from a normal freshwater might not be good to start because the conditions are different. I've never really tested pH or anything with my current freshwater because my tap seems fine. How strict are these parameters? I know I can add things to the tank to get the water closer to ideal conditions, but how accurate are the testing kits? I assume I should do fishless cycling?

Do mbunas like live brine shrimp?

Thanks for all your help!

The only thing you will need to cycle the tank is pure ammonia and a liquid reagent test kit. You can use raw shrimp or flake food, but I am not to keen on the idea of rotting shrimp/food sitting in the tank for all to view.

You can use a cycled filter from another tank, that's not a problem. Check the pH and hardness values of your tap after a cup of water sits out for 24 hours. Mbuna's prefer a pH opf 7.8+ and liquid rock for hardness. LOL But they also do well in lower levels. You probably won't have spawning occur, but it is doable. And it is easy to fix if your pH is too low. Add crushed coral to the filter and it will naturally raise the pH. The problem arises when your natural pH is too high and you try to lower it. Don't use the powders that claim to increase the pH. They end up being expensive and only causing fluctuations. Crushed coral is cheap and works for a long time.

If you purchase a test kit like the AP Freshwater Master Test Kit, it is very accurate. The best IMO.

Mbuan's, for the most part, are veggie eaters. They should be fed flake, vegs, pellets, etc. High protein diets can lead to Malawi Bloat. I would avoid the brine shrimp.

I will look for that test kit and see what my tap water parameters are. I'm planning on adding crushed coral to my sump to raise the pH if it's not high enough. Does crushed coral buffer pH and keep it at a high stable level, it's not possible to over-raise your pH is it?
If my water conditions are good, or I try to make it better, what's the likelihood of spawning? I would be very interested in trying to make ideal conditions for that to happen!
Thanks!

Crushed coral will only raise your pH to 7.8. When it reaches that level, it stays constant. This level is perfect.

The likelihood of spawning depends on which fish you choose. I have heard that labs breed like crazy but I have yet to witness it. We have had 3 batches of Cobalt, 3 batches of Peacock, and our first batch of Kenyi fry. Still no labs. LOL

To encourage spawning make sure the tank has plenty of flat surfaces and rock structures. Feed a variety diet and keep up with water changes. Maintain a pH above 7.6 with hard water. Keep the tank on a regular schedule with food and lighting. Increase the temp in the tank to 79 - 80 degrees.

My problem isn't getting them TO breed. It's trying to get them to STOP breeding. LOL

Back
Top Bottom