Need Help - Scared Shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngieD1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay, I’ll try and keep this short……

I have a 60 L tank which until Saturday held five black neon Tetras, 1 red Tetra and 3 Amanda shrimp. They are all adults and have been in the tank for about two years.

Last Saturday I took some of my sisters fish from her tank as she was overstocked - she gave me a mixture of baby, juvie and adult Guppies (2 of which, I think are pregnant), 2 2 adult Cory Doras and an adult male Albino Pleco. I’d say the number of fish has increased to around 25-30 (I did only ask for 15 in total but my sister cannot count)! The tank doesn’t look overcrowded and there is plenty of hiding spots in the (artificial) plants, tubes and caves.

Anyway, we transferred them to the new tank and ever since then (now 3 days) my three Amano shrimp are hiding at the top of the tank behind the filter unit and will not come out. I’m not sure if they are feeding properly but they seem OK otherwise but they are huddled together which I think is unusual. Are they scared they might be eaten by the Pleco or Corys? My sister said she has shrimp in her tank at home and the Pleco and Corys were fine with them, so not sure why mine won’t come out. I really don’t want anything bad to happen to them so any and all advice welcome.

Thanks so much (and sorry for the Essay!)

Attachments

• 83CBB433-4376-4FB6-A766-57EE0E55ECFC.jpeg
    83CBB433-4376-4FB6-A766-57EE0E55ECFC.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 22
Amano shrimp are social, they need to be kept in groups of at least 5-6. They feel more secure in large groups and are more likely to come out into the open & behave naturally. That said though, it's possible they are stressed out by the sudden addition of so many new fish, in which case you should give them time to adjust. They are shy little critters and it can take a while before they're comfortable in a new environment. But if they are harrassed by any of the other fish, they will probably stay hidden most of the time.
Also, I'm pretty sure your tank is overstocked - or if it isn't now, then it most certainly will be once the guppies start breeding. They are practically born pregnant. You need to figure out a plan for the fry, or rehome all of the females.

Back
Top Bottom