Need help with a fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eric-Texas

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My kids are about to kill me as they are ready for fish but the tank is not ready.

We have a 46 gallon and it has been filled and running for close to 3 weeks. At first I was only using fish food for ammonia, then after no nitrites appeared I went and got pure ammonia from Ace hardware.

I dosed it up to 4-5.0 ppm and left it alone, after 2 weeks I have yet to see nitrites and my ammonia is still present, may have dropped a bit. When I test for nitrAtes it appears a touch orange so I may have some or generated a false positive on the test.

My question is at what point to I just drain the tank and start over? I treated the water initially with water treatment, and have the temperature set at 82.5. I have added Tetra Safe Start Plus and added another bacteria after 2 weeks with no nitrites.

thoughts?

Just a heads up. Your nitrate reading can come from your tap, test that too so you have no confusion with your cycle.

Sometimes you will not see NitrItes it can happen so fast. I never saw nitrites during my cycle. I knew it was cycled when the ammonia was 0 for a couple of days and I had nitrAtes. It took a solid month or so to get there.

Back
Top Bottom