Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2003, 09:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Need help with fish choices for my tank.

As some of you may know, I am attempting to make my first aquarium out of a carcass from an old television.

I'm not sure what sized tank will fit in it, but that may give you a general idea.

I am going to use freshwater, as I am studying at the moment, and I don't have time to mess around with levels.

I am wondering what sort of fish would be good for this sized tank?

I want some really exciting ones, preferably colourful, not these dull "goldfish".

I want fish that will school, and that will run at different levels. Like catfish that are bottom dwellers, some for the middle, and some for the top!

What are recommended!?

Thankyou. :p And go hard with the aquies...
( 8 ) eiGhtBaLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 10:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to fishstixs05
My advice is to ask FishTV and look at his gallery. He has wut your trying to do.

Old 05-23-2003, 10:43 AM   #3

What fish you can get really depend on the tank size, and your water chemestry. Fish will adapt to different PH levels, as long as they are stable. PH adjusters do more harm than good, and most contain phosphates that will just invite algae to take over... the less chemicals you add the better the health of the tank. Before you add the entire population of fish, you need to get a few danios or something hearty in there to cycle, and begin your bacteria to grow. This takes about 6-12 weeks, depending on the tank. Set everything up, get your temp where you want it, and everything running, wait about 24 hours, and put four or five small hearty fish in there to cycle. I would suggest waiting until you have the time to keep a check on your water quality though. Testing is very important during your initial cycle.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:45 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to mendhigirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstixs05
My advice is to ask FishTV and look at his gallery. He has wut your trying to do.
Oh my gosh!! I just looked at FishTV's gallery(cuz I'm nosy!)and FishTV's tank is by far the coolest thing I've seen in a loooong time!!Whoa!
I think it's a great idea,and I hope you post pictures when you're set up!!
Old 05-25-2003, 03:18 AM   #5

I intend on doing so!

I will take pictures of ever aspect and post it

Hope it's goign to be good.

As I've never done one before. :$

Old 05-25-2003, 03:22 AM   #6

And yes. I have been in contact with "FishTV"...

He has been MOST helpful

Old 05-25-2003, 04:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to zephyr
I rekon you should get corydoras for the bottom, some neon or cardinal tetras and a big *** gourami.
Justin
Old 05-25-2003, 08:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Chrismac
I was driving into town the otherday and this time of year people throw thier junk out to the side of the road and I saw the biggest old floor model TV I have ever seen in my life. would make a real nice Aquarium.

Chris.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:06 AM   #9

Shame you live in Canada!

Old 06-16-2003, 07:04 PM   #10

Please help.

Old 06-17-2003, 01:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would definately recommend some cardinal tetras once the tank has cycled. They are a wonderful schooling fish and would brighten up any tank. I would also suggest a nice piece of driftwood, not only for the aesthetic value but the tannins are loved by the cardinals

BTW...feed them a variety of foods that includes brine shrimp...they'll love you for it

One bit of info on the cycle is the newish liquid called BIO-Spira by Marineland which helps to eliminate the new-tank syndrome 8O

Chekout these links
http://www.marineland.com/products/m...L_biospira.asp
http://www.marineland.com/products/m...4pgReprint.pdf

Louise

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com