Need help with numbers pls!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2me

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just had my water tested at pet shop and asked them to write down numbers for me....ph 7.4 and 0 for Amo, Nitrites and Nitrates...same as I get at home with my liquid tests.
I just wanted to double check incase I was making a mistake, as recently, I read on here somewhere, Nitrates should have some reading if tank is cycled?! My tanks is new but went through a fish in cycle in about 4-5 weeks without a problem...Amo peaked then trites then trates.... I have replaced nothing filter wise, always been fish in producing plenty poop (2platty's) tank is 16G I think, 60 litres...no real plants??? What is going on. Shop said water was too clean..didn't think I actually had fish in it, I explained I have recently been doing daily water changes as one of my platty's was sick with wound on head (in different thread) would this explain pristine conditions???

....tank has only been running 6-7 weeks ( platty head wound healing remarkably quickly without meds/salt as yet) not sure if this info helps but please, any thoughts appreciated....

Did you test the water shortly after a water change? Also you mentioned you've been doing daily water changes, so that's most likely where the nitrates went. As long as ammonia and nitrite are 0 I wouldn't worry. Once the treatment ends and you go back to your weekly water changes you should see some nitrates show up between water changes.

Did you test the water shortly after a water change? Also you mentioned you've been doing daily water changes, so that's most likely where the nitrates went. As long as ammonia and nitrite are 0 I wouldn't worry. Once the treatment ends and you go back to your weekly water changes you should see some nitrates show up between water changes.

Yes, it was close to water change......I have a recovering platty and so was being extra vigilant with water.... I'm sure I would have Ammonia if tank had crashed or mini cycle wouldn't I??? Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom