Need info about Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've always loved this fish, and now that I have an aquarium I would like to get one. Here's what I have:

20 gallon FW tank
1 x Sunset Fire Wag Platy
1 x Dalmatian Lyretail Molly
1 x Albino Rainbow Shark(not for long, after finding AA I quickly became aware my tank is too small for it. Hence me asking before buying now. )

I know they're considered aggressive, but I'd love to have some.

Any advice, help, or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

It is totally up to you but I wouldn't put an angel in a tank that small unless you plan to upgrade in the future then it will do for now but watch the aggression jeuvinials are less aggressive but will get territorial as the age and claim their space

I might just have to get one(or two) and immediately start looking for a new home and have it lined out for once he gets too big. Also, only get one? Two? How do they like it population wise?

I would only do one they only co-exist in mated pairs which is hard to find at a lfs mine are in a community tank with serape cardinals and glowlights without conflict might not but with plates and mollies they should do fine just remember to line up a future home or even better a bigger tank in the future

Well the shark may be taken back. Have heard numerous times that my tank is WAY to small.. and I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I like to have my info before going to the LFS as they know nothing. But about how long would it take for the angelfish to out grow my tank? Or easier said, how big would I be able to let it get before it needed to be "re-homed"?

I've thought about keeping only angelfish too, they're by far my favorite fish, at least of the ones I've seen. I would be quite content with only angels

Even if one is alone in your tank he will outgrow it but if you find a nice 29 gallon it's a high tank should house a mated pair just fine and then you can keep your 20 gallon for your mollies and platies

Well, I'm gonna get one, from what y'all have said it'll work, not forever. But for some time at least. Only problem now is I gotta wait till after the 4th of July to get one. :banghead: I'm going out of town Saturday and don't wanna get a new fish then leave..

Hi,
Forty gallon is good for them. Maybe if they were the only fish in the tank in the 20, it might work.
You also mentioned dwarf angelfish. There are actually dwarf angelfish. They're called Leopold's Angelfish, there a new angel on the market that are very rare to find. However they only stay two to three inches big, so even fish as small as neon tetras won't get eaten. They like a tank 30 gallons minimum.

Back
Top Bottom