Need Input On What To Do With Two Gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Esoteric Backbone

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I received a two Gallon Hex tank, and I have not a clue of what to do. It came with some gravel and a light. When I first got it, I thought I was great, but now its irritating me to no end. Any ideas of what I can do with? Please

mfdrookie516 said:
Really, about the only thing you can do is shrimp or snails... or both. There aren't any fish I'd put in there.

Ok, any suggestions on what types of shrimp, snails? How many? Do I need filtration? Do they even make a filter small enough? Will plants survive in the tank?

Yes you need a filter. RCS would be my suggestion. They're cheap, easy to care for, and you can sell them when they reproduce. As far as plants, that depends on the lighting.

mfdrookie516 said:
Yes you need a filter. RCS would be my suggestion. They're cheap, easy to care for, and you can sell them when they reproduce. As far as plants, that depends on the lighting.

Do you know of any filter? Would you be able to recommend one? The bulb that's in the hood is a 15 watt tubular bulb.

I can't, but I'm sure there are others here with experience in tiny tanks that might know of a good filter. I would like to see the hood, do you have any pics? I'm having a hard time understanding how there's a 15w tube in a tank that can't be 6" across.

Can't take pictures, no memory card.

The bulb is about 4 inchs across, I just said tubular because that's what the manufacturer described it as, sorry for the confusion.

Ahh ok. You can replace that with a CFL and grow a good amount of plants. Shouldn't be an issue. That'll make a nice little shrimp tank. A java fern and some moss would be the easiest route to take IMO

mfdrookie516 said:
Ahh ok. You can replace that with a CFL and grow a good amount of plants. Shouldn't be an issue. That'll make a nice little shrimp tank. A java fern and some moss would be the easiest route to take IMO

Stupid question I know, but what does CFL stand for?

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
does it look like this? this came with my hood before i replaced with cfls

It looks exactly like that.

CFL = Compact Fluorescent Light or Lamp (not sure). They make them in the spiral design for household fixtures, or the tubular design for aquariums.

mfdrookie516 said:
CFL = Compact Fluorescent Light or Lamp (not sure). They make them in the spiral design for household fixtures, or the tubular design for aquariums.

Ok, do they give off more watts, is that why there better for plants?

Not more wattage, actually consume less. They put out more light, in spectrums useable by plants. Incandescents don't do all the great in planted tanks, though some do have success with them.

mfdrookie516 said:
Not more wattage, actually consume less. They put out more light, in spectrums useable by plants. Incandescents don't do all the great in planted tanks, though some do have success with them.

Ok, thank you! And how many shrimp can I have in two gallons?

mfdrookie516 said:
I'd do probably 10-12 to start out. They'll reproduce. You can sell them for $.50-$1 each once they do.

If I were to put 10-20 in there would there still be room for a snail? Or no? Oh, and this question has nothing to do with the topic, but can you bamboo in a aquarium?

Depends on the snail, but sure. As far as bamboo, it has to be emersed. You can have part of it in the water, but the top has to be outside the tank.

Back
Top Bottom