Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2015, 01:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Need more Decor?

Just set up and cycled our 20 gallon tank, but now looking at the pictures, I am trying to figure out if it is too sparse? Need more plants or hiding places?

Old 08-26-2015, 02:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What sorts of fish are you going to add? I think it mostly depends on what species you have, as some need more hiding places to feel safe and some need more open swimming space. I would personally add more decorations, though.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish42 View Post
What sorts of fish are you going to add? I think it mostly depends on what species you have, as some need more hiding places to feel safe and some need more open swimming space. I would personally add more decorations, though.

I just saw your other thread with the fish/inverts and I think you do need more decorations. Have you considered adding a few hardy live plants? It would add some variety and I've heard that otos love them.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish42 View Post
I just saw your other thread with the fish/inverts and I think you do need more decorations. Have you considered adding a few hardy live plants? It would add some variety and I've heard that otos love them.
The idea of Live plants terrifies me a bit to be honest! I have a brown thumb when it comes to non-aquatic plants, so I have been steering clear of them in the tank as well.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin2809 View Post
The idea of Live plants terrifies me a bit to be honest! I have a brown thumb when it comes to non-aquatic plants, so I have been searing clear of them in the tank as well.

There are some super hardy plants like java fern, java moss, and anubias that are almost impossible to kill. I also can't keep non-aquatic plants alive, but aquatic plants are much easier for me.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Live plants and live fish just go together. Try some Java Moss, just tie it to a decoration or piece of rock with some fishing line and sit back and see what happens. You might surprise yourself and get the plant bug. Don't try to plant up the tank in one go, just add one at a time and see which is easiest. Java Fern is also a good starter, it too needs trying to an rock or wood (don't plant it in the sand as it will rot).
Keeping aquatic plants is very different to non-aquatic plants - you never need to water them ! 😀

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-04-2015, 01:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Location: Canada, the hardest place to get fish shipped to you
Try cabomba or jungle Val. Very fast prorogation to almost insure the plant bug!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Tags
deco, decor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com