Need recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryanlr88

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon. What should I stock it with. I want some sort of catfish. I also like kribs. What's possible? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could you give us more information? How experienced are you? What is the setup (plants, substrate, decor, etc) if you already have it? Are you interested in a biotope? This will help us to give you the best advice.

I am fairly experienced. Have had tank filled for three years. I'm switching to sand. It's a 20 tall. I don't want to get too fancy but I do want a variety of things. I don't like bettas or Mollys.

Unless it's a breeding pair and ONLY that pair, no Kribensis in a 20g.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I am fairly experienced. Have had tank filled for three years. I'm switching to sand. It's a 20 tall. I don't want to get too fancy but I do want a variety of things. I don't like bettas or Mollys.

I agree with the Mollies, never really had a taste for them. Have you seen corydoras? One of the smaller catfish species and very active in groups of 6+ on top of that you switched to sand which is perfect for them.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

No live plants. Maybe would try if some don't need a nutrient substrate or whatever and can e planted directly into sand. Decor is several fake plants. I am going to get a small bubbler/aerator. There are a couple rocks in there too and a little but thing I am going to ditch and a glass shell. I like to provide. Decent amount of hiding places in case they need them.

My next question was gonna be can I do corydoras. Always wanted them. They seem so fascinating

No live plants. Maybe would try if some don't need a nutrient substrate or whatever and can e planted directly into sand. Decor is several fake plants. I am going to get a small bubbler/aerator. There are a couple rocks in there too and a little but thing I am going to ditch and a glass shell. I like to provide. Decent amount of hiding places in case they need them.

Anubias, plant the roots but rhizome stays above ground. Water sprite, Java Fern(tie it down it's not planted), Amazon swords(needs root tabs and it's fine). With a good light all those will grow fine, no special substrate, no CO2, no ferts required.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

My next question was gonna be can I do corydoras. Always wanted them. They seem so fascinating

Pygmy, Sterbai, and pandas are some of my favorites and they would work fine in a 20g. remember they need groups of 5-6+

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I would recommend Pygmy cories, as sterbai and pandas won't have as much swimming area, as its a tall and not a long. If your looking for color you could do a pair of darters, they are extremely colorful, and are bottom dwellers, but they start off with only eating live food, but you can train the to take pellets and flakes. And they also need well-oxygenated water, so you would need a powerhead. If you go with Pygmy cories, I would recommend getting endlers as they are also small and colorful, or a school of CPDs

Thanks Caleb I will definitely look into those plants. Those fish I've never heard of so I will have to look into it

Oh I see they are Cory's. Thanks. What about some non catfish that would go well with Cory's? Also random, any snails? Just thinking

Mystery snails are also an option, sorry I missed about it being a 20 tall.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have six peppered Cory's in my 20 tall and they do great. They are indeed fascinating and mine actually spend a good amount of time above the substrate, which was a plus for me. I do have some vertical hardscape (driftwood and rocks) and they love to swim along them. They also swim up and down the java fern leaves picking on stuff. Very fun to watch!

Ok so no kribs. How about apistos? I'm not interested in rams bc they always seem upset and butthurt about something. Bunch of Cory's, couple snails, couple apistos? What about shrimp? Are they compatible at all? What kind of fish would be good top swimmers? Some sort of cheap tetra?

And I have a good feeling that the Apistos will eat the shrimp, if you get any

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom