Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all

I got out of the fishkeeping hobby a while ago due to the high cost of maintaining my four tanks (it was also very time consuming). Well, after seeing a friend's beautiful 30g Hex tank, I decided I want to get back into the fishkeeping business, though I don't have the time/space for a large tank.

What I would like is a small tank that could sit on a bedside table in my room. I'm talking maybe 3-6 gallons, just enough for a few fish. I like the look of the Marineland Eclipse System 6, it comes with a florescent light and a decent filter, and they're not too expensive (money isn't really a huge issue for me). You guys have any opinions on these tanks?

The main question I had though is what kind of fish I should be looking at getting. Most likely I won't be getting a heater (though I might get one of those 25W submersibles if I really have to) so I would like to know what kind of fish can live in room temperature water (my room stays around 18-20C). I definately don't want goldfish, so could I put something like Danios or Neon Tetra's in there? Or would it be too cold for them? Any suggestions for some colourful/interesting tropical fish that can live comfortably in a 6 gallon tank?

Well, thats a tough one. The smaller you go, sometimes the more difficult it is to stock and maintain. A betta would love a set up like that. You could also go with a standard 10 gal tank, an aquaclear mini filter, a small heater, a standard 15W light hood for a 10 gal, and a few neons, even a few low light plants. I have such a set-up right now, it is pretty low maintenance.

Attachments

• 10galplant1_440.jpg
    10galplant1_440.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 10galplant1_906.jpg
    10galplant1_906.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 25
Well the problem is that I don't have the room for a 10 gallon. I realize that the smaller the tank, the harder it can be to maintain, but I just don't have the room, sadly, for a larger tank. :(

Depending on the lighting in the eclipse hood, you could plant the 6 gallon with some really easy plants. That would be really cool for a betta, or a few guppies. (same sex though to prevent having waay to many lol) Other options for a 6 gallon could be mabye a school of 3 white cloud minnows, or mabye 3 harliquen rasboras, although im not sure about those, some one else could confirm.

you could also consider a paradise fish. They are similar to gouramis and betas, and get about as big as a betta. If you can find them they are far more colorful than a typical betta. You would have to keep them alone like bettas, but you could get an african dwarf frog to keep in the tank with it.

A betta would definitely need a heater. Paradise fish and white cloud minnows would be comfortable with your room temperature.

Back
Top Bottom