Need some advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shsean

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi i hv a tank with angelfish,a catfish and a tetra. Recently i added few guppies into the tank but the angelfish keep on chaisng after the guppies and i hv no choice but to quarantine the guppies into another plastic container. So is there any way that can be done in order for my guppies can join them in the tank, and i wonder if angelfish is an agressive fish? Thx for reply..

Angelfish will eat just about anything they can fit in their mouths. So the chances of them getting along with the guppies is slim to none. I would take the guppies back to the lfs and see if they will let you trade them in. Tetras prefer to be in groups of six or more, I would pick up a couple more of those. What kind of tetras are they, and how big is the tank?

The type of tetra is congo tetra,so far my tetra remains undisturbed by the angelfish. The tank,meanwhile is around 10g. On the other hand, after i seperated by guppies, they seems not active, and mostly remain on the bottom of the tank, also they did not eat the food i gave.. Can i know how to curb this??

The angel will get to big for that tank...perhaps the better move would be to take the angel back for a store credit.IMO the gupps are better suited for the 10g.

What did you move the gupps into?If its a tank is it cycled?Heated?

I'd agree with SCFatz- the angel will outgrow the 10 gallon. It be better to remove it and keep the guppies and tetras.

The guppies would be far better in the 10 gal over the angelfish. Angelfish will eat smaller fish. They are cichlids and can get aggressive when they want to. The guppies will also most likely breed and you will end up with fry sooner or later. Then you will have more fish than you expected. :)

what type of catfish? Tetras need to be in groups of 3 or more. Congo tetras will also get too big for a 10gal, they are one of the larger types of tetras. They can get up to three inches long. A few are fine in a ten gal, but i wouldnet get more than three. And three tertas with a few guppies is a good stocking idea.

"What did you move the gupps into?If its a tank is it cycled?Heated?"

well i move it another smaller tank, hv no choice but cycled...however my guppies still not acting actively

ummm, yeah... I didn't expect the angel to be in a 10, I would take the advice offered and get him a new home. Stocking a 10 can be tough 'cause your choices are so limited, but you can still get some cool fish. You want to look in to how big they get, not how big they are at the store. I would stick with the guppies. I think you could do two males as long as there were at least 4 females, preferably 6. But then you better be prepared to have guppy babies!

oh so sad that one of my guppies that was chased after by my angelfish died.. :( :( Maybe down with stress and ignore the food i gave...

Back
Top Bottom