Need some advice on Aquarium salt and snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boneys26

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

Thanks for the help with the Nitrite/Nitrate. Thanks to you guys my tank is now ready for the fish, Would like guppies (male) and Neon tetra's maybe some bottom feeders, not yet decided.

While looking round a pet store today I noticed they had some snails, Apple and zebra, From what i can make out zebra are awesome at keeping algae at bay and handle dead plant matter well.

I would like a snail within my tank but I could use some advice before I Think about getting one, When i started cycling my tank I added API Aquarium salt will this harm a zebra snail? And, Do I need a tight fitting lid for my tank?

If it's a zebra nerite, they actually breed in brackish water, so aquarium salt won't harm them if it's at reasonable levels.

Snails like to climb out, so a good lid is a must.

Yeah its a zebra nerite I was looking at,

I added 3 rounded tablespoonfuls at the start on my fishless cycle 2-3 weeks ago, less than what the carton said I should so levels should be more than ok :)

My lid is tight (ish) no gaps anyhow. Off to take another water sample now and if its clear again I'm off to get a snail and 2 guppies :D

Why are you using aquarium salt? You can save money by skipping it. It's really not necessary. I only use it to treat illnesses.

When I started my coldwater tank I noticed some worm like things in the gravel and the salt helped clear them, Now I started a tropical tank I was advised to treat with salts when setting it up and it also helps the fish, true or not I dont know but If it helps give the fish what they need and cuts down the risks of infections then I will give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom