Need some advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks

I've just purchased a small-ish (60 Litre) tank from my local pet store. I figured it'd be better to start small, and work my way up.

I've had the tank for about 10 days now (no fish, yet). I thoroughly rinsed everything that was to go in the tank (substrate, ornaments etc).

The tank came with an Interpet mechanical underwater filter and a heater. I also added an undergravel filter, and extra aeration.

After about 8 hours of being set up the first time, the tank water was completely cloudy. It was treated with Interpet TapSafe. The pet store (high street chain, so not very good) suggested I tried a Filter Start (also Interpet, to kickstart the filtration) which had no effect, and then also to add a Filter Aid (which contained formaldehyde to clump the bacteria together). This had a marginal effect, and then everything in the tank was covered in a dirty brown substance.

I left it like that for three days, and then figured I must've done something weird and so I drained it all, rinsed everything one more time, and put it all back. I filled-it up again, and again - about 7 or 8 hours later - milky cloudy again. From what I've researched, this is known as 'bacterial bloom'.

This time, though, I went to the pet store and bought a testing kit. Since the 2nd April, I've been taking readings every day to try and figure out what is going on. I think it has something to do with the KH of the water.

Have a look at these read-outs:

2nd April..... pH 7.6-8, KH 12, Temp 26C.
3rd April..... pH 8, KH 12, Temp 26C
4th April..... pH 8.6, KH 20, Temp 26C

So the KH has risen. The test kit advised a 10% water change, which I have just this moment completed. I don't know whether it's just me, but it looks like the water may be slightly clearer but that may just be because of the water change.

If it's bacterial bloom, do I just wait for it to clear itself up?

I've also read about cycling, but have to admit I'm not sure really where to start with that.

I'd really appreciate any advice you folks can offer.

But I have to admit, I'm stumped.

Many thanks, all!

welcome to AA,
this is know as the nitrogen cycle. all tanks go through it. it can take from one week to a couple of month for the cloudiness to go away. i had a 10 gallon and it took a week. you probably could have been done with the cycle if u weren't messing with the water. let the water sit, don't take water reading, just let it be. after four days i got 2 black skirt tetras. i still have them to this day. i got the black skirt because its a hardy fish.

Good Luck:)

Hi Fishman13,

Thanks for your help.

Just so I'm clear, you're saying that I just need to let the nitrogen cycle run it's course, without any fish in the tank?

I've read that the nitrogen cycle starts with waste products from the fish themselves, so I was wondering if I needed to add anything into the tank to kickstart this process.

For now, all I've done is add some water into a new tank that has been treated with Tapsafe. There are no fish, and no other chemicals have been added to the water.

The tank simply has a mechanical underwater filter running and an undergravel filter.

Thanks

Hi Fishman13,

Thanks for your help.

Just so I'm clear, you're saying that I just need to let the nitrogen cycle run it's course, without any fish in the tank?

I've read that the nitrogen cycle starts with waste products from the fish themselves, so I was wondering if I needed to add anything into the tank to kickstart this process.

For now, all I've done is add some water into a new tank that has been treated with Tapsafe. There are no fish, and no other chemicals have been added to the water.

The tank simply has a mechanical underwater filter running and an undergravel filter.

Thanks

no problem, anytime

correct add nothing into the water, no bacteria starter, etc !!NOTHING!! you may be anticipated to buy fish but just go in youtube and watch fish videos?? and learn things. haha:p . after like four days you can get a really hardy fish, my choice was 2 black skirt tetra. in my opinion i would turn off the under gravel filter. when its on it stirs up the cloudiness.

no problem, anytime

correct add nothing into the water, no bacteria starter, etc !!NOTHING!! you may be anticipated to buy fish but just go in youtube and watch fish videos?? and learn things. haha:p . after like four days you can get a really hardy fish, my choice was 2 black skirt tetra. in my opinion i would turn off the under gravel filter. when its on it stirs up the cloudiness.

I have to disagree with this. If there is no source of ammonia, nitrosomona bacteria are not going to have a food source, and will not form in the numbers you need to have a healthy biological filter.

I have to disagree with this. If there is no source of ammonia, nitrosomona bacteria are not going to have a food source, and will not form in the numbers you need to have a healthy biological filter.

thats what i did and i am fine. all fish were perfectly good and are still alive and playful. :eek2::snipersmile::devilish::eek2:

Fishman13 said:
welcome to AA,
this is know as the nitrogen cycle. all tanks go through it. it can take from one week to a couple of month for the cloudiness to go away. i had a 10 gallon and it took a week. you probably could have been done with the cycle if u weren't messing with the water. let the water sit, don't take water reading, just let it be. after four days i got 2 black skirt tetras. i still have them to this day. i got the black skirt because its a hardy fish.

Good Luck:)

Partially true. You should let the water be, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take readings, unless it's strips. Its important to know where you are in your cycle, and when its safe to put fish in. You also need to know how much ammonia you have in there, as to much will stall your cycle You also don't let the water be, when the nitrites and ammonia get too high, as it could stall your cycle. Some ways to kick start this process is to ditch the bottle and either feed your tank fish food, or dose pure ammonia. (no surfactants and crap, JUST ammonia) now for my question:

What test kit are you using?

Partially true. You should let the water be, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take readings, unless it's strips. Its important to know where you are in your cycle, and when its safe to put fish in. You also need to know how much ammonia you have in there, as to much will stall your cycle You also don't let the water be, when the nitrites and ammonia get too high, as it could stall your cycle. Some ways to kick start this process is to ditch the bottle and either feed your tank fish food, or dose pure ammonia. (no surfactants and crap, JUST ammonia) now for my question:

thats what i was referring to the strips.
sorry i will be more specific.:snipersmile::sorry:

Fishman13 said:
no problem, anytime

No no no no no! The bacteria is needed for the cycle! Don't use the bottle crap is correct, but you need to use something! The reason your black skirt tetras are alive is because they survived the cycle, not because they were bought after it! My black skirts so far (knock on wood) have survived the cycle for now, but you still don't want any fish to have to suffer through that! A tank just doesn't cycle in 4 days, especially without a food source for the bacteria!

This post REALLY, was not meant to be read as harsh, and i truly am sorry if I came across that way.

Hi folks, thanks for your responses.

The test kit I am using is, unfortunately, strips: "Tetra Test 6 in 1".

Why are strips bad? Have I done something wrong? :)

I figured I did need something in the water to kick start the bacteria in the nitrogen cycle, but then I hesitated given that I am suffering from bacterial bloom!

So, in terms of next steps then, what would you suggest I do next?

Thanks!

No no no no no! The bacteria is needed for the cycle! Don't use the bottle crap is correct, but you need to use something! The reason your black skirt tetras are alive is because they survived the cycle, not because they were bought after it! My black skirts so far (knock on wood) have survived the cycle for now, but you still don't want any fish to have to suffer through that! A tank just doesn't cycle in 4 days, especially without a food source for the bacteria!

This post REALLY, was not meant to be read as harsh, and i truly am sorry if I came across that way.

:sorry::sorry::sorry: omg the only food source i had was the second day i had my cycle going i had neon tetras. i know it was stupid. my mom wanted something in there and they died. my waste of money. and i feed them. so i guess that was the ammonia. correct???

rsp said:

I figured I did need something in the water to kick start the bacteria in the nitrogen cycle, but then I hesitated given that I am suffering from bacterial bloom!

Thanks!

Strips are VERY inaccurate, and give very impartial results. Before we get any fish, let's go out and get the API freshwater master kit, about 32 bucks. Seems expensive now but trust me... You'll get your money out of it when your not cleaning dead fish out if the tank. Also buy either some ammonia/fish food. The ammonia can be bought at ACE hardware... And that parts only a dollar ;)

Fishman13 said:
:sorry::sorry::sorry: omg the only food source i had was the second day i had my cycle going i had neon tetras. i know it was stupid. my mom wanted something in there and they died. my waste of money. and i feed them. so i guess that was the ammonia. correct???

Yes, that was an ammonia source, and that was what helped kick start your cycle. Your learning young padawan! Pay attention and learn some more!:D

Thanks!

The strips are bad because they are inaccurate. The liquid titration tests are not as convenient, but the results are much more accurate.

Even with no ammonia source, some bacteria will form, but it won't be sufficient to establish a biological filter that will keep the water ammonia free once fish are added.

For next steps, did you read the article I linked? It tells you exactly how to do a fishless cycle.

Strips are VERY inaccurate, and give very impartial results. Before we get any fish, let's go out and get the API freshwater master kit, about 32 bucks. Seems expensive now but trust me... You'll get your money out of it when your not cleaning dead fish out if the tank. Also buy either some ammonia/fish food. The ammonia can be bought at ACE hardware... And that parts only a dollar ;)

she is right, once everything is settled wait, wait, more waiting, and done. awesome cool looking fish tank

Fishman13 said:
he is right, once everything is settled wait, wait, more waiting, and done. awesome cool looking fish tank

(cough, sputter, she, cough, sputter) :D and give fort some credit too! He was here before I was!

Back
Top Bottom