Need something fresh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have wanted a Betta fish for awhile now and I finally am going to setup a spare 10gal for one in the bedroom. I'm gonna do some research but I'm looking for some good advice from you guys. I want to have a Betta in a nice low tech planted tank something I can throw my spare parts at. Would an AC 30 be to much for this? I have some old drift wood also. I would need to buy a light able to support plants.

Hoping to hear from some of you guys with the awesome planted tanks on here. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The AC30 may be a bit much but you could find a way to dissipate the out put so that it doesn't blow the betta around. I have AC20s and even on low they can blow the bettas around.

Low light plants are probably your best option if you want low tech. Anubias, crypts, moss, swords, ferns, etc. There are low light posts in the plant section that list off more. I have 10g and 6g betta tanks with these plants and the plants look good. I also have driftwood and clay pots. Both tanks also have sand substrates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the info! What's a good light for a 10gal planted??

Depends. I have an old canopy fluorescent light fixture that was free and I put the aquarium & plant light from Home Depot in it. So far it works well but a lot of people on here go for the higher end lights. I do believe some of the others also recommend shop lights or desk lamps with higher K bulb ratings. If you go for low light plants you can probably get away with a cheaper light setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For lighting its really a preference thing, some people like LED some people luke florescent tubes i personally don't care either which way. Not for hoods with incandescent bulb fixtures i have found these bulbs and been using them for a few months now and absolutely love them. Lights Of America 10 Watt Mini Fluorescent Aquarium Bulb, 1ct - Walmart.com

The bulb you actually receive is different them whats shows in the picture It is an Aqua-Culture Mini fluorescent bulb. The specs are 600 lumens, rated for 8,000 hours, 10 watts and full spectrum bulbs. I have been running these on all of my 10 gallons with incandescent fixtures and my plants grow MUCH better and the tanks are very bright.

Tried to snap pics of the tank with incandescent vs those but the pics don't do the bulb justice.

Attachments

• IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 53
Perfect! Thanks for this information. I'm getting all of my equipment prepared and planning this out. I have a slight delay but I can't resist doing this any longer

Hi beej,
If I were you I would invest in a sponge filter in place of the AC, bettas prefer low flow and sponges are cheap and effective, they hook up to an air pump.

Hi beej,
If I were you I would invest in a sponge filter in place of the AC, bettas prefer low flow and sponges are cheap and effective, they hook up to an air pump.

+1 Even if the betta had some sort of tankmates it would still be low bioload for a 10g, sponge would be fine.

For lighting its really a preference thing, some people like LED some people luke florescent tubes i personally don't care either which way. Not for hoods with incandescent bulb fixtures i have found these bulbs and been using them for a few months now and absolutely love them. Lights Of America 10 Watt Mini Fluorescent Aquarium Bulb, 1ct - Walmart.com

The bulb you actually receive is different them whats shows in the picture It is an Aqua-Culture Mini fluorescent bulb. The specs are 600 lumens, rated for 8,000 hours, 10 watts and full spectrum bulbs. I have been running these on all of my 10 gallons with incandescent fixtures and my plants grow MUCH better and the tanks are very bright.

Tried to snap pics of the tank with incandescent vs those but the pics don't do the bulb justice.

Would this work in a 10g standard hood light? I hate the colors I get from kit florescent on my fry tank.

Back
Top Bottom